Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Does that mean you believe consciousness can arise de novo from the non-conscious?

That does appear to be the case.

Not unlike life arising from lifelessness. C, H, N, and O are just atoms. A mol of them is just a lump of coal and three containers of gases. Put them together and you can get life (disclaimer: I always remember "CHON" for organics, but there may be other things required of which I am unaware...never took organic chem).

If life can arise from complexity, then I see no reason awareness cannot also. I don't think "life" is a part of matter any more than "awareness" is.

I don't see how "free will" is an analogue to that. "Free will" arising from complexity? It seems "free will" violates causation, or at least most versions of "free will" do. I'm allowing that there may be definitions out there which do not, so as with all things of this nature, definitions do matter. :-)

I seem to recall benjd25 had to abandon his definition a year or two ago when his wife stuck a pin in it. I won't speak for him, and I don't know if he resolved that or adopted a softer definition. But definitions do matter as to whether it's coherent or logical or possible.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.