Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Dogs shouldn't be eating dairy products anyhow, period. So I guess if you keep the unclean stuff out, they're fine. And what's in most dog food? Beef, Chicken, rice, corn? Sounds allowable.

But what does the law say about imposing kashrut laws on other members of the household, like pets?

Acually, puppies do well with cottage cheese in their diets for their first year. Unless you don't want a mutant-huge dog... trust me on this.

And I give my dogs hard cheese. The lactose in cheese is somehow digestable; I"m not sure why. Not a lot of cheese, mind you, but they get a couple small chunks a week, if I have it around. Mostly it's for me. mmmmmm

Lots of dog foods contain plenty of unkosher stuff, whether it's additives, various treyf parts, or bugs & stuff. But I don't know how hardcore people get about that.

Kashrut, at least around Passover, applies to all members, birds, fish, etc, because you my otherwise be deriving benefit from chametz, which would be a major no-no. There *are* kosher l'pesach pet foods, although feeding sed-eating birds might be on the difficult side. You have to ease them onto the diet over the course of a couple of weeks, though, or you may have the oh-so pleasant experience of dealing with pet GI issues, and lemme tell you, it's bad enough when they're producing normal, firm stools. Just imagine your nice, clean, chametz-free house, and your poor pup scrabbling around, dropping what I'll politely call "loose stools" all over the place.

Otherwise, I think they can eat whatever they need to prosper and thrive. If your vet says, "This cat must eat pork liver for a week, no other kind," no one will fault you for purchasing and preparing it as prescribed. It is a life and death matter, after all, and the laws allow for this kinds of wiggle room. They also allow, for that matter, a Jew to eat treyf food if it means survival versus sure death. Islam is the same. you don't follow these laws if it means you'll die.

As I understand it...
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.