No. of Recommendations: 2
Doing a little filing each day is easier than marathon sessions. Before vacation I was slipping, which added to the amount of mail to process after vacation. Very little mail is actually worth filing.

Rather than an inbox:
1.) Unsorted box
I was stacking unsorted mail at my desk, but if my husband approached my desk the mail would fall. I still take a quick look at incoming mail. If anything requires immediate attention, it goes on the keyboard at my desk.
As you take an item out, deal with it. Either file, shred or trash. Before opening a letter, it is easy to predict if the contents are trash or file. The very small percentage that are wrong are the shock. I thought one letter was ads and it contained a $1,600 settlement check. I had sent the paperwork assuming we would probably get less than $10. I was wrong. Opening all mail is important.

2.) 2 Aging boxes which are swapped every two week, for ads catalogs and receipts that aren't worth filing. When the boxes are swapped, the contents of the previous box are tossed.

3.) A obvious location for those items which requires more extensive processing.

I am still struggling with past accumulations of paper, but at least incoming is under control.

Debra
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.