No. of Recommendations: 7
For those of you who've been following this port, I wanted to post some stats. In the following, positions are total holdings of single companies regardless of number of transactions.

As of last night:

• 38.3% return since inception (the peak was on 8/13/2013 at 39.1% return since inception)
• CAGR since inception of 12.25%
• Trailing S&P 500 by 8.86 ppts, the lowest level since June 2011 and an improvement off the worst from July 2012 where I was 29.16 ppts behind. Note, this differs slightly from the official record because of a slightly different way of tracking vs. the S&P 500. I compare to a single point in time, while the official "invests" equal amounts into the S&P 500 each time the port receives funding. I believe the difference is under a percentage point, where my tracking shows slightly better.

• 2011 return of (16.27%) vs. S&P 500 return of 2.11% (port began 11/1/10).
• 2012 return of 22.73% vs. S&P 500 return of 16.00%
• 2013 return of 28.53% vs. S&P 500 return of 19.62% YTD

• 14 positions in the green, 4 in the red
• The four losing positions are among the smallest ones in the port, currently occupying 1.1% (BPI), 4% (CF), 5.4% (FCX), and 4.6% (RIG) of the port. I'm confident about prospects of all but BPI.
• The 3 biggest positions are NFLX (14.9% of the port) at +262.1% return, WDC (9.6%) at +71.7%, WNR (9.0%) at +59.3%.

• There were 6 sold positions, 4 in the red and sold by choice (OSK, NTE, SVU, and DNDN), 2 in the green and bought out from under me (CRDN and PWER)
• Of the 4 sold-by-choice positions, 2 remained in the red 1 year later (OSK and NTE), while one turned positive (SVU -- from a last-minute investment by a big investor, something unforeseeable); the last one (DNDN), was just sold yesterday

• 71 purchases total, 44 (62%) of which are in the green and 31 (44%) of which are beating the S&P 500 (includes sold positions)
• Best is NFLX, beating by 297.5 ppts; worst is DNDN, trailing by 116.0 ppts.
• Looking at all transactions, average return is 31.3% and they're beating the S&P 500 by an average of 5.4 ppts.

:-)

Cheers,
Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.