No. of Recommendations: 7
For those of you who've been following this port, I wanted to post some stats. In the following, positions are total holdings of single companies regardless of number of transactions.

As of last night:

• 38.3% return since inception (the peak was on 8/13/2013 at 39.1% return since inception)
• CAGR since inception of 12.25%
• Trailing S&P 500 by 8.86 ppts, the lowest level since June 2011 and an improvement off the worst from July 2012 where I was 29.16 ppts behind. Note, this differs slightly from the official record because of a slightly different way of tracking vs. the S&P 500. I compare to a single point in time, while the official "invests" equal amounts into the S&P 500 each time the port receives funding. I believe the difference is under a percentage point, where my tracking shows slightly better.

• 2011 return of (16.27%) vs. S&P 500 return of 2.11% (port began 11/1/10).
• 2012 return of 22.73% vs. S&P 500 return of 16.00%
• 2013 return of 28.53% vs. S&P 500 return of 19.62% YTD

• 14 positions in the green, 4 in the red
• The four losing positions are among the smallest ones in the port, currently occupying 1.1% (BPI), 4% (CF), 5.4% (FCX), and 4.6% (RIG) of the port. I'm confident about prospects of all but BPI.
• The 3 biggest positions are NFLX (14.9% of the port) at +262.1% return, WDC (9.6%) at +71.7%, WNR (9.0%) at +59.3%.

• There were 6 sold positions, 4 in the red and sold by choice (OSK, NTE, SVU, and DNDN), 2 in the green and bought out from under me (CRDN and PWER)
• Of the 4 sold-by-choice positions, 2 remained in the red 1 year later (OSK and NTE), while one turned positive (SVU -- from a last-minute investment by a big investor, something unforeseeable); the last one (DNDN), was just sold yesterday

• 71 purchases total, 44 (62%) of which are in the green and 31 (44%) of which are beating the S&P 500 (includes sold positions)
• Best is NFLX, beating by 297.5 ppts; worst is DNDN, trailing by 116.0 ppts.
• Looking at all transactions, average return is 31.3% and they're beating the S&P 500 by an average of 5.4 ppts.

:-)

Cheers,
Jim
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Congrats Jim!
In one place you say your're trailing S&P by 8.6. In the other you say you're beating it by 5.4.

Is one a waited average and the other not?
In one place you say your're trailing S&P by 8.6. In the other you say you're beating it by 5.4.

Hi Katinga,

Sorry for the confusion on that.

The trailing by 8.6 points was for the portfolio as a whole, measured by NAV and comparing to the S&P 500 since inception.

The other is as if all the purchases were on a scorecard, like Stock Advisor's, comparing each pick against the S&P at that time and averaging all of them together.

Cheers,
Jim