Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 9
So Apple is going to let users decide whether to slow down their devices or risk battery shutdown with the next iteration of iOS update. Big bro-ha-ha over Apple slowing devices down.

Here’s one that slows down my iPad.

Used to be when I wanted to click a link in Safari I’d put my finger on the link, a menu would pop up and I’d select “open” or “new window”.

Now when I put my finger on a link it changes color from blue to red. Wait a second, a box with radius corners appears behind it, all white. Wait another second (sometimes three or four) and the menu pops up with “open” or “new window”.

This makes the “clicking of a link” take three times longer, for no apparent benefit. Occasionally if I “drag” on the link it tracks across the screen, changing typeface and size, but doing nothing else useful. Why?

Jobs was a minimalist. The computer should do what it needs to do, not more just because it can. It’s classic Microsoft, adding crap because some programmer didn’t have anything to do last Tuesday.

Please, Apple. Keep it simple, stupid. Speed up my browsing again, please.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 9
Occasionally if I “drag” on the link it tracks across the screen, changing typeface and size, but doing nothing else useful. Why?
If you have two apps open then you can drag or drop URLs between them. Say the first app is a note-taking app & the 2nd Safari or Google Chrome & Safari or Contacts & Google Chrome etc. URLs are one of the data types that iOS understands how to use & so drag & drop works also.

Unfortunately things like this are a consequence of iOS (& the iPad especially) becoming a more comprehensive OS. If you take Apple at it's word & iOS is the future (for Apple) then this is an expected outcome (as would be understanding how to use a keyboard & mouse for future releases for example.)

And part of the issue that Apple has faced is that the iPad has been a bit too simplistic in the past, potentially limiting it's market as the Windows 2n1s & Chromebooks (more recently with the ability to run Android apps) begin to 'fence off' potential use cases through being more flexible. To compete Apple has felt it has had to add capability, making the device more complicated but also more productive (much like the iPhone X added some complication with additional gestures replacing the home button - but a necessary condition to compete with modern premium smartphones.) The perking up of iPad sales in the last quarter - if maintained - suggest that a lot of buyers agree (although the introduction of the 'value' iPad may have helped the sales a lot also.)
No. of Recommendations: 2
Used to be when I wanted to click a link in Safari I’d put my finger on the link, a menu would pop up and I’d select “open” or “new window”.

Now when I put my finger on a link it changes color from blue to red. Wait a second, a box with radius corners appears behind it, all white. Wait another second (sometimes three or four) and the menu pops up with “open” or “new window”.

If all want to do is click through the link, why are you doing a "tap and hold" on the link to bring up the pop-up menu? Why not just tap the link and go to the next page? Faster and simpler.

That's almost instantaneous on my iPad. Maybe my 12" iPad is newer than yours -- the tap and hold behavior your describe takes just under two seconds for me.

-awlabrador
No. of Recommendations: 0
If all want to do is click through the link, why are you doing a "tap and hold" on the link to bring up the pop-up menu? Why not just tap the link and go to the next page? Faster and simpler.

I doin’t want to just “open.” I invariably want to “open a new window.” Then I sit and wait while the link changes color. A display box is painted behind it. Then, and usually after some wait, the drop down menu appears and I can “open new window.”

When I’m on the Times or WaPo I want the splash page, but I dn’t want to have to re-render it every time I drill down through a story. Likewise with the Fool, I want my “favorite boards”, but then I open A favorite board, then open posts that look interesting. But I don’t want to have to re-render everything every time I change boards, because Comcast is often balky in these here parts.
No. of Recommendations: 0

This makes the “clicking of a link” take three times longer, for no apparent benefit. Occasionally if I “drag” on the link it tracks across the screen, changing typeface and size, but doing nothing else useful. Why?

Personally, I like that because I frequently (usually) open links in a new window. It annoyed me to not be able to do that on my iPad previously.
Kathleen