No. of Recommendations: 3
DoLoop...

I would like to get my 22 year old, single, live-at-home, work-two-jobs-and-go-to-school grand daughter a book about investing. She was asking me some questions the other day and I was surprised to learn that she has saved up more than $6,000 that she wants to put to work.

I was thinking of getting her a copy of "Four Pillars of Investing".

Any other thoughts?

---------------

The "Four Pillars..." is an excellent choice, but before she digs into that rather intimidating looking book, maybe Bill Schultheis' little green book, "The Coffeehouse Investor" would be less of a task. The book is easy to read in an afternoon and gives the reader a good feeling for asset allocation, diversification and indexing in general. It's only about 170 pages and written in an easy to understand way.

You can get an idea of what it's all about from Bill's web site. As a matter of fact, you can read the entire first chapter on line:

http://www.coffeehouseinvestor.com/default.htm

The only problem is that it may be hard to come by. I have a copy, but I wanted to buy one and send it to my cousin, however, it hasn't been sent yet from Barnes and Noble after I ordered it over three weeks ago. I didn't realize how popular it was.

Regards,
Bill
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.