Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Domer,

I would share those fears if it weren't for the fact that Nokia is well the way to transforming cell phones into wireless Internet access devices. Although this increases the number of potential competitors, it also increases the number of potential customers. (For example, even though I'm a Nokia shareholder, I doubt if I'll ever buy a Nokia cell phone, because I have no need for one. However, I can easily see myself buying a Nokia Internet access device.) Additionally, it should stave off commoditization for a while.

For more information, you might want to take a look at the Q1 conference call transcript <http://www.nokia.com/investor/1999/1Q/review.html> where the president of the mobile phones division describes plans for Mobile Media Mode (and WAP-enabled devices). Here's an excerpt:

In our vision, the Internet will go mobile, just as voice communication has.

One of the key enablers of Mobile Internet is the Wireless Application Protocol or WAP. WAP enables Internet content to be distributed to and displayed in standard mobile phones.

Our strong belief and trust in the success of WAP is based on the fact that it brings benefits to all parties within the value chain: it's a winning game for consumers, content providers, operators and terminal manufacturers alike.

ciao,
umberto
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.