No. of Recommendations: 8
Dominguez experienced his "steadily declining standard of living" due to his "all fixed income" strategy from age 29 to 57. I think most of us expect to be fairly active during those years.

I'm tempted to conclude from out-of-the-blue attack on the godfather of the Retire Early movement that Intercst the Ridiculer himself is developing a serious case of thin-skin disease.

This is one of those cases where the board need not have any sort of debate as to whether what intercst says is shot full of holes or not. He doesn't have any spreadsheets with worrisome numbers and such to fool any non-MasterMinds in our midst into thinking that, since he says it with such assurance, there must be some sliver of truth to the claim. Here he is just parading his fantasy life out for all to see without the slightest scrap of evidence to back up the assertion.

Dominguez is the author of "Your Money or Your Life," the bible of the Retire Early movement for those not quite so inclined as intercst to try-your-luck-and-pray -for a-100 bagger concoctions. The book was published in the early 90s and has sold millions of copies in dozens of languages worldwide. He turned over all royalties--not some, all--to a charitable environmental group. Does that sound like someone shivering in his apartment in fear over his "steadlily declining standard of living" to you?

No, not to me either.

From the reports I've read, it appears that Dominguez lived from the date of his age 31 retirement to his death a happy man, a wise man, a giving man. He earned enough to do exactly what he wanted with his life energy from the time he left the work world to the time he gave up the ghost. He was too absorbed in his enjoyment of early retirement to have any time left over for ridicule of those who didn't share his views precisely. That's a receipe for making an effective contribution to the world's storehouse of knowledge on early retirement and for living a successful life in the bargain, in my view.

Make one-hundredth the contribution to the Retire Early movement that Dominguez already has over the course of the remainder of your life, and you'll be doing real well, intercst. The odds aren't looking too good for your prospects at this particular moment in time.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.