Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
For comments regarding immigrants not showing adequate appreciation on remembrance (veterans) day.

So ... could he have said it better, yes. And worse as well. His schtick is to be the old curmudgeon, so it wasn't exactly out of character.

Sportsnet has been cutting salaries and contracts, so ... this may well have been the excuse they were looking for to exit his. Don't know. Love him or hate him, he is entertaining and .. part of the game. I did enjoy watching him occasionally, but not regularly.
Print the post Back To Top
if he stuck to hockey he might still have a job...

in today’s toxic invironment, you can’t address any minority group as “you people”...

seems like they’ve been grooming Brian Burke to be his replacement for a couple years...
No. of Recommendations: 1
if he stuck to hockey he might still have a job...

I grew up with Coach's Corner every Saturday night; I looked forward to it. Cherry would talk about players doing the right thing, sticking up for each other, even trying to remind little kids about playing safe by not facing the boards when the puck was coming. While he was always abrasive I can't help but feel that he turned very sour after his wife passed; I know they were very close. It was also bad when his bull terrier Blue passed. Now it's just lonely Don griping on TV once a week about how the world around him stinks. I wonder if his life losses are just coming out sideways.

seems like they’ve been grooming Brian Burke to be his replacement for a couple years...

Burke is a cretin that should just go away. If CBC is looking for a longtime replacement I would suggest Kelly Hrudey whom has done just an outstanding job as a late night hockey commentator for the last 10 years or so. He played in the NHL for years, has an close relationship with the players and fans, and always offers an interesting perspective. Another analyst whom is quite brilliant is Cassie Campbell-Pascall, the former Canadian international and gold-medal winning captain. She does primarily analyst work but is one of the best hockey minds out there and is highly respected given her background.

-canam
Bye Felicia
Sportsnet has been cutting salaries and contracts, so ... this may well have been the excuse they were looking for to exit his.

Almost certainly not. They put out a half-@$$ed statement saying his conduct was unacceptable, with no action being taken. After continued backlash, they finally cut the cord.

Cherry was a dinosaur. I didn't watch him pretty much ever, so I can't really talk about whether he changed for the worse or if we all just changed for the better (or maybe both). But he doesn't add anything to the game, and he certainly takes things away from it and drives fans away with his divisive comments. Good riddance.

Also, this move is about ten years too late.

- C -
I always liked him, but what he said was retarded.
Maybe some up-and-coming fashionista was envious of his wardrobe and wanted him out of the way.
Maybe some up-and-coming fashionista was envious of his wardrobe and wanted him out of the way.

Envious?

If you told me Sportsnet found his wardrobe caused strokes in small children … that I would believe.
They cause epileptic fits.
For 'you people' that are triggered by an article/interview on a fox channel, best not click on this link to Don Cherry's response to being fired:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/hockey-commentator-don-cherry...

For 'you people' that are not triggered, the interview is with Tucker Carlson.
Cherry really leaning in on this shows just how much that change not just needed to happen, but should have happened a while ago.

- C -
Do any of 'you people' still watch 'Molson Hockey Night in Canada'?
If so, who has replaced Don Cherry and what insight does he/she/it present?
I've been out of broadcast range since '05.
if you’re interested, Don Cherry has a podcast now...

I only live 100 miles from Toronto,but, they don’t broadcast in
Hi-Def to the states so I don’t watch because it gives me a headache!!!
Do any of 'you people' still watch 'Molson Hockey Night in Canada'?
If so, who has replaced Don Cherry and what insight does he/she/it present?
I've been out of broadcast range since '05.

No but, I do subscribe to Sportsnet on YouTube that used to run the Coach's Corner segment as a stand alone video. It does not look like anything has 'replaced it'. So, they are either just doing the usual between period commentary, or some mini-feature or plays of the week type content.
Sportsnet must be bleeding money...

in last few months:

(1) did not renew contracts of Doug MacLean and Nick Kyprios...

(2) allowed long time afternoon-drive host (Bob McCowen) retire after 27 years over contract dispute...

(3) thank god, got ride of Don Cherry...