Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Don't forget:
If you make a charitable contribution DIRECTLY form your IRA it counts as part of your RMD BUT isn't included in your income. You can use the standard deduction and in effect deduct your charitable contributions as well

That's right, but....

You must be at least 70 1/2 and the amount you contribute may be up to 100,000 whatever you RMD may be or is not yet because your birthday is later than July 1, 1949, when you RMD year is age 72.

As you say, tax-wise, this Qualified Charitable Distribution is identical to withdrawing from ones TIRA, including this amount as ordinary income and then deducting this as a charitable contribution on schedule A.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.