Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 52
Don't get me wrong here, I stand by my decision to sell and redistribute, but if some people could provide perspective and show me the errors/holes in my analysis, this would be fruitful for my future decisions.

Based on your comments, it appears Appian's business is not all that appealing to you. I don't know the company, but assuming all your info is correct I'd have to agree.

Your "error" seems to be based entirely on the fact the stock price hasn't moved the way you anticipated. In broad terms, it looks like you are letting price (an uncontrollable result) cloud your process of breaking down the business. In the long run price follows performance, not the other way around. That's why you see so few mentions of specific prices when discussing companies here. If you don't like APPN's business performance, don't get bogged down on the price of the stock. Stick with your filtering criteria as long as you believe they are the right ones for you. Otherwise, there's a chance you'll get distracted by every Hertz and Kodak that comes along (extreme I know, but it hopefully makes the point).

Ultimately, we are buying companies and not stocks.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.