Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi -

If I donated appreciated stock to charity which I accumulated via an ESPP (or Drip) over many purchases, but donated all at once, how should I enter that in my taxes?

All as one transaction? Or note each lot? If the prior, I have no problem determining basis, etc., but what date do i enter on the transfer form for purchase date, since it was bought at many times, all greater than 1 year prior to the gift?

thanks
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I would consider it as one transaction. The purchase date is "various-long term". The cost basis is the sum of the individual cost bases. I would prepare a schedule with all the details (a small spreadsheet will do) and make sure it is attached to your copy of the return in case you need it later. If it makes you feel better, you can attach it to the 8283 that you send to the IRS, but that isn't really necessary.

Ira
Ira,

Why does the cost basis matter? Providing the stock has been held for over a year the value of the donation is the value on the date of the gift.

Debra
Why does the cost basis matter? Providing the stock has been held for over a year the value of the donation is the value on the date of the gift.

It doesn't matter. I thought the IRS wanted the information in column (f) on the 8283, but I just checked the instructions and it isn't required for publicly traded securities.

The only thing I would keep then, would be a list of the purchase dates of the stock lots.

Ira