Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, with the pandemic, we did a lot of cleaning and so donated many items to the Salvation Army. We kept lists of everything donated and got receipts when we dropped them off. Can someone tell me if there is a limit to the amounts for items donated for my taxes? Thanks.

Footsox
Print the post Back To Top
OK. I found this on the IRS website:

"You must fill out one or more Forms 8283, Noncash Charitable Contributions and attach them to your return, if your deduction for each noncash contribution is more than $500. If you claim a deduction of more than $500, but not more than $5,000 per item (or a group of similar items), you must fill out Form 8283, Section A. If you claim a deduction of more than $5,000 per item (or a group of similar items), you must obtain a qualified appraisal of the item or group of items and fill out Form 8283, Section B. If you claim a deduction of more than $500,000 for a contribution of noncash property, you must fill out Form 8283, Section B, and also attach the qualified appraisal to your return."

OK. So, we took a carload of items on 8 different occasions to the Salvation Army. Are they saying that each ITEM would be worth $500? Or all of those items (for that one trip) equal one CONTRIBUTION. So, let's say I donated a bunch of random items in one trip, and if I estimate the value of those items and total them, I come up with say $600 for items donated in that one trip. I would then have to fill out a Form 8283 for each trip where I donated items totaling over $500?

So, let's just say in those 8 separate trips to donate items, each trip's items are under $500.... then I would not have to fill out any Forms 8283? Let's say all 8 trips with donations, total $3200. Then I don't have to fill out any Form 8283? Thanks for any interpretations. I appreciate it.

Footsox
I total up all the items in that one trip using thrift shop value.
Since I donate and shop at Goodwill, I know how they price items.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8283.pdf
Noncash Charitable Contributions
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
? Attach one or more Forms 8283 to your tax return if you claimed a total deduction
of over $500 for all contributed property.

? Go to www.irs.gov/Form8283 for instructions and the latest information.

My household item total for the year is always above 500 so I just fill in form 8283 for each different donation trip.

However, I itemize (at least for last year).
If you can't itemize I think you are limited to taking a 300.00 cash donation deduction (not for household goods).
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/special-300-tax-deduction-helps...

nag
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong
No. of Recommendations: 1
I think this is the part from the IRS that requires me to file form 8283.
My total in household goods donation is over 500 for the whole year although given at different times of the year.

Who Must File
You must file one or more Forms 8283 if the amount of your deduction for each noncash contribution is more than $500. You must also file Form 8283 if you have a group of similar items for which a total deduction of over $500 is claimed.

nag
Hi nag, Thanks. Yes, I itemize. So, I will need one separate form 8283 for each donation "trip." But, if my items in that particular trip do not total over $500, then I don't need a form 8283 for that "trip" to Salvation Army.

So, let's say EACH of my separate "trips" to drop off donations, total say, $450, then I don't need any forms 8283? -- Even though there might be 8 "trips" and $450 each one? Then I still don't need to fill out a form 8283.

Thanks! They sure write that kind of confusing.

Footsox
No. of Recommendations: 2
Every trip can be reported on the form 8283...there are several lines for this, for different dates and you list all the stuff you gave and report the thrift value for each donation for that date.

Even if you give 499 five times a year, you need to fill out the form. Same with if it's 510 five times a year. But you just have to list the value, the items and the dates of donations.

As soon as you reach 500 for any donation of goods you need to fill this out. It's your total donations for the year, not each one.

It's pretty easy through turbo tax.

If you look at the form, it lists who did you donate to?
then in the next sections it lists what dates and how much.

nag
It is confusing!

nag
Not like you need more confusion but there is also a mileage deduction to give to charity

14 cents per mile driven in service of charitable organizations.
It's a round trip deduction.

nag
Thanks nag, for making it more clear to me. I'm glad I kept some pretty good lists of the items donated. Now just need some finishing touches and I'm good with that. I send everything to my CPA, but I do a lot of work on all of the details for them. Thanks for your help.

Footsox