No. of Recommendations: 0
Donna, my answer first: a cable box that can record on other channels that one being watched and has both analog and digital outputs. The analog for the TV and digital for if you decide to replace your TV. It’s long-term less expensive for T-W to do that than fiddle with DTA converters.

My suggestion is have T-W quote on this and you have on hand, when you meet, a similar quote from a competitor.

T-W can’t run an analog signal from the main switchbox. One, the newer TV’s need a digital signal and, two, it would mean running extra cable to whoever has an analog TV. This can be expensive (not to say extremely difficult).

Having your own switch connected to the DTA (more accurately, a connection hub) can work however the reason for having one is because the system, as it is, is a kludge. You shouldn’t need a hub.

The central problem is the cable box not having both analog and digital outs. That and not separating out channels. T-W. to save in the long run, should replace the cable box rather than kludge with DTA conversion. I have heard that – and this may be a reason they haven’t advanced this so far – is their cable boxes with DVR have problems.

Personally, I’d investigate another company and see what they offer and at what cost.

The other solution is, if the wallet allows, replace the analog TV and run the VCR from one of its analog in/outs.

MichaelR
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.