Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Don't forget that you can also get inventive with the way you handle your money. For instance, you are talking about setting aside only $25 per month. As previously mentioned, at 11% for 20 years that comes to $21,640.95 - not much, but something. $60 per month brings you up to $51,938.28, which is a little better (not enough, but better). Stretch it out to 25 years and you've got $78,806.67, or keep the years to 20 and find a way to make 16% (certain doable) and you've got $86,322.08.

Well... at this point, the name of the game will be as much as possible at as great a gain as possible for as little time as possible. 25 years is out of the question, since I can't imagine myself working til age 65, let alone age 70!!!! I'm sure that I will be doing more than $25 per month, hopefully even at first. It's just the uncertainty of the whole thing at this point. Frankly, I am scared... facing the autumn of my life in a very short time, and not knowing how I'm going to pay for it. That's why I'm really desperate to get my ducks in a row and start salting away as much as I can as soon as possible.

Well, I'm going to assume that you are paying $15 per month for Internet
access.

Nope. Already switched to 1stUp.com about a month ago. I just can't see paying for access, when it's so readily available for free.

You can also get paid to allow an inch of your screen to go away.

Already enrolled with AllAdvantage. I haven't started making $$ from it yet, because I only just started and haven't used it that much. But I'm sure it'll net me about $25 or so a month... that could certainly go towards investments, once I know that I have a basic primary income and don't have to have every penny for living expenses.

details on my Web site - http://members.home.net/hmpi

Thanks for the url... I'll check it out soon.

when you think of the long term, every little bit counts.

I definitely subscribe to this philosophy... I pick up probably anywhere from 50 cents to $1 a week, on a good week, in pennies and stuff I find while walking. Hey... it's all spendable.

Also, for years I worked part time at The Nature Company during the Christmas season.

Well, I'm currently working at a UA cinema. It doesn't afford me anything in the way of perks, except free movie passes (great for visitations with my daughter and also for dates). But this job will most likely be my SECOND job once I find a primary job. I just don't see me making it with just one job for a while, especially since I have another 5 years to pay child support.

The bottom line is that sometimes things can get painful, but you just need to grit your teeth and tell the world that you're going to take charge. If you're serious about things, it will actually work.

Well, bottom line for me is that, while I say I'm scared, and while I don't know HOW it's all going to work out, I know it will. Reason I know this, is because I am a SURVIVOR... always have been, and always will be. And I have faith in Someone bigger and more knowing and powerful than I alone could ever be. Scared? Yes. But do I know I'll make it? Yes, because I always have.

Thank you very much, George, for all the info and encouragement your post provided. It's great to know the wealth of knowledge and experience available here among our fellow Fools.

Sonny
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.