Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Don't know your objective but if its only 7% or better payout you might want tax free mun9i bonds. You should be able to get a 5.5 to 6% interest yield on a 30year bond. Make sure you get your state's bonds to avoid state and federal income taxes. An make sure they do not count under the alternative minimum tax. If your federal margin tax rate is 31% and your state rate is 5% that adds to 36% for taxes. Thus your tax free muni rate only needs to be 64% of you taxable requirement. If you want a taxable 7% you only need a tax free rate of about 4.5%. Muni's look like the way for you to go. You should get a taxable equivalent of about 9.3% with a lot less risk of capital loss than with stocks.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.