Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
What is so unique about the word - UNCOPYRIGHTABLE - that sets it apart from any other word in the English language?

Laurie
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
It uses all 5 vowels?
Or is it the longest word with no repeated letters?

Frydaze1
All 5 vowels and the Y?
Yes to both. Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world. Apparantly, I underestimated this board.
I decided to stray from my Whole Foods Board and check out some of the theme groups. In retrospect, this should have been the place to start. I stumbled upon "Humor," where I discovered that a variety of nothing is superior to a monotony of something.

Laurie
a variety of nothing is superior to a monotony of something.

Beautifully put.

Frydaze1
What is so unique about the word - UNCOPYRIGHTABLE - that sets it apart from any other word in the English language?

Having all five vowels and "y" doesn't make it unique. In fact, there are at least two words that have them all in order:

abstemiously
facetiously
Abstemiously and facetiously employ all 5 vowels and "y".

However, Frydaze1 was quick to figure out that the word "uncopyrightable" is the only 15

letter word that can be spelled without repeating any letters.

Laurdujour
"uncopyrightable" is the only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating any letters

What about "dermatoglyphics" (the study of the whorls, loops and arches on fingertips, palms of hands and soles of feet) and "hydropneumatics" (pertaining to the combination of hydraulic and pneumatic fluid power)?
"hydropneumatics"

Needs one more letter. :-)