Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Don't panic. You should file an amended return, but it won't change your refund.

Duke did a 1:3 reverse stock split before merging with Progress. The Cash in Lieu transaction is normal for the liquidation of a partial share.

A partial share has a cost basis. You can determine the cost basis for the partial share, or if you don't have the patience use a cost basis of $0.

Wait for the IRS to process your return and refund. Your carry over loss will offset any possible gain. File an amended return after your refund has been processed.

If the IRS catches the inconsistency while processing your refund, they will send you a correction statement.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.