Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 13
Alright, I'm going to share what I did wrong with this one in the hopes that someone else learns. Hopefully I learned a lesson, too.

After last quarter's earnings, the stock price rose dramatically to the $55 level or so. I looked at it, ran a discounted earnings calculation and figured that the company would have to grow at something like 30% - 35% a year for five years and then around 15% to 20% a year for the next five to justify the current price (using a 12% discount rate and 3% terminal growth rate). To get the five year growth rate back down to what analysts were predicting (20% or so if I remember right), the discount rate had to be reduced to 7%. That's well below my minimum desired return rate.

So I sold, both out of my own account (Roth IRA, thankfully) and out of an account I share jointly with my father-in-law.

And I watched the price go up

and up

and up

until it was sitting around $75. As the most recent earnings neared, the price continued to go up

and up

until it was over $80. Now with another "beat the Street" quarter, the price is up another $3 or so after hours and I fully expect the price to continue to go up.

You'd think I would have learned this lesson quite a while ago when I did something similar with Cheesecake Factory (CAKE), but that was where it had only reached my idea of intrinsic value.

But, no...

With this one, I waited until I thought for sure this stock price couldn't go any higher because it was ridiculously overvalued. (See, I did learn that lesson from CAKE!)

And what did NILE do? Totally ignore me, that's what!

Tom G has written that he regrets his early sale of Whole Foods Market (WFMI) in Stock Advisor and watched it climb away before his brother re-recommended it for the same newsletter. Now I definitely know how he feels and it isn't fun.

At. All.

So, my advice to everyone here, including myself, is this. When you feel that a stock is getting over valued, DON'T SELL! Instead, keep a careful eye on it and be happy that Mr. Market continues to offer you a higher and higher price for it. As long as it continues to climb, be happy. And if it is whacked back down to size by a bad quarter, you'll probably get what you would have gotten if you had sold the first time you got nervous about the over valuation, or even a bit more (though with a chance of a bit less). And if it doesn't, you get a lot more money out of it before the price just screams "sell now!" I would have been a lot happier if I had sold at $75 before its current move up to the mid-$80s than I am for having sold some $30 ago.

(Not so cheery) Cheers,
Jim
(Discl: long CAKE, yes I got back in)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.