Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello,

Let me just first say that I think borrowing from ones 401k is a bad idea. However,...

My DH and I find ourselves looking for a house about 6 months earlier than planned. We cannot stay in our current place, because the owner has sold it.

We have enough money saved to put 5% down on a house. We had planned to save for another 6 months and put 10% down. The larger down payment makes the monthly bill much more manageable.

We can scrape up the 10% plus closing costs by borrowing from the Bank of Dad and borrowing a small amount from my 401k. My plan allows for loans, and the plan also allows for continued contributions while I make payments on the loan. I would continue to contribute enough to get the full company match.

I realize that my money will be taxed twice (repay with after tax dollars and taxed again when I withdraw at retirement), but should I think about taking this loan?

I'd appreciate any perspective the Fool community could provide.

Phoebesnow
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.