Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Doomer,

I've been meaning to ask you how your FOMO meter is reading. Not trolling, but your you've had a trading itch lately. I am grappling with my un-FOMO and fighting the "time to sell" urge. DW is now up nearly 14% for the year which pales in the glow of your gain--but she is just 4.7% below ATH. So there is that psychology working.

Yesterday's market action.... Ex post facto, there is always a logic constructed to explain but for me it was WTF! I understand OKE and SPG being directionally down as higher rates on bonds makes dividend stocks less attractive. But the fractional difference isn't that much, right? But that was one Hell of a reverse rotation. I guess the money has to go somewhere and it was enough for a lot of +4%, +5%, +6% moves in tech, thus checking your FOMO meter.

My port is still down 8.25% from my ATH which is whiter shade of pale than DW's. MF is recommending a 2 of my top 5 positions plus another, and DW has 6 of the 7 in her port so that probably relaxes the trigger finger somewhat for at least a short time.

With regard to selling puts, I would be in the yes camp. If you sell the front week or month your premium is less but there is less chance of a drop below strike and then a rebound before expiration. Not really much gamble and you are playing with other people's money. That being said, the same would go for my urge to sell--sell calls although that doesn't protect the downside. It does automate the "I would sell at price X" decision.

Back to lurking,

KC
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.