No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm in the middle of a garage addition with finished 2nd floor. By code I need to have 2 sheets of 5/8 drywall on the ceiling and wall between the garage and house. Wondering if I should liquid nail the sheets together and install them as if it was one sheet (with a lift)? If I install it one sheet at a time I could stagger the seams on the 2nd layer, but it'll be twice the work. Its a 3-car garage, 70 sheets on the 9 ft. ceiling. I have a lot of lights, boxes, etc. to cut around.

Also, anyone know what type of R factor the 1.25" of drywall will add to the ceiling? I'm insulating now and just curious.

Thanks for any help.

Bob
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Wondering if I should liquid nail the sheets together and install them as if it was one sheet (with a lift)?

Bob,
I think the idea of double 5/8" lid is that the seams are staggered so that you have the one hour fire wall.

Scott
No. of Recommendations: 1
I assume you're making a double thick wall for fire rating purposes. If that's the case, you don't want to glue them up together...the seams where two pieces meet should be staggered. Thick brick wall with staggering joints.

If it's not for fire rating purposes, then you can glue them up, although you might have a tough time smoothing out the joints.

R-value for 2 sheets of 5/8" gyp board (drywall) is ~1.12.

-Agg97
No. of Recommendations: 3
I would not recommend gluing - the whole idea is fireproofing - liquid nails or other adhesives are flammable and defeat the purpose - if a fire burns through the first layer and hits the adhesive it would just fuel the fire and add more toxic gases - if the garage is attached to your home, yu don't want to take this chance. Besides, those suckers are heavy enough! Combined it would be a load and a half!

hem
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll definitely need the drywall lift for 2 days. I originally thought I'd need to stagger the seams. Just trying to think of ways to speed up the process.

Thanks again

Bob
Just trying to think of ways to speed up the process.

Ugh... Two layers of 5/8 drywall OVERHEAD... I would hire it out :-)

solent
Just make sure the screws hit the ceiling joists, that is a LOT of weight in the overhead... Imagine the days when it was all nailed in place...

weco
They make fire rated drywall called type-x. Wonder if that would be good enough?