Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Mish...

I agree with you, a slowdown is coming. We've been the fastest growing Western Economy all decade, it's gotta slow sometime.

However, I couldn't resist.

I've doubled my holdings in GM.

Plan to hold 3-6 months at best as the stock market isn't usually my thing.

I'm telling myself not to buy more now, but I have a feeling I will do the opposite.

If something unforseen happens, then I'm kinda screwed. But if things stay status quo, I hope this will be the investment I think it is.

Jedi
Print the post Back To Top
Nice balloons JEDI!
Thanks Milli, but you may want to reconsider being seen in public with me here...I kinda freaked out another board just now :)

BTW Milli you know cars and tech better than I.... what do you think about this "fuel cell" thing. GM has bet on this big time and claims that hydro engines without greenhouse emissions are the wave of the auto future.

Jedi
No. of Recommendations: 1
BTW Milli you know cars and tech better than I.... what do you think about this "fuel cell" thing. GM has bet on this big time and claims that hydro engines without greenhouse emissions are the wave of the auto future.

One word - LICENSING

It isn't in the short term about the technology on the road - and if GM's long term strategy of changing the playing field works, they'll be on top of the world. If you think about licensing you suddenly have other auto manufacturers, light trucks, public transportation, marine, government, military, aerospace, power generation, ORV/RV, etc. If GM can create a viable commercial hydrogen fuel cell AND holds the patents - holy smokes that could be worth an obscene amount of money in the future.
I've merely traded it multiple times, each time buying large blocks, selling for a few dollar profit.

And I've always maintained that any stock I HOLD in GM, would not be that much past the Q4 anyway..

My 1st trade I was oh so lucky. The Nissan thing started right after I bought in. Then I sold well before the stock went down to 29....lucky again.

Now I'm hoping for a little Santa Claus....

Jedi

I was going to consider buying some GM stock, then I went to my reality check, handy-dandy free Intrinsic Value Calculator here: http://www.valuepro.net. I do not believe the zero Intrinsic Value the site returns for GM stock, but it may be correct. The Unions own GM assets, there may be no residual value left for shareholders.

I will do some more real "work" on valueing GM stock; for now, I will take a pass - Thank you very much.

Kahuna,CFA

GM and F are both worth less than zero when I last calculated things so what's not to believe? Perhaps I will revist when the next annual reports come out.

mish
GM and F are both worth less than zero when I last calculated things so what's not to believe? Perhaps I will revist when the next annual reports come out.

Was it worth zero when it went from 18, to the current 29?

Jedi
Was it worth zero when it went from 18, to the current 29?

Jedi

The proper way of looking at things is that something is worth whatever idiot is willing to pay for it. Thus if you are willing to pay $5M for a painting made by a monkey that is what it is worth.

There is of course a second way of looking at things and that is Liabilities vs assets.

On that basis GM and Ford were worth less than zero.

Mish
I see.

I wish I were idiotic enough to buy at 18 and sell now at 29, or 35 weeks ago.

Jedi
FWIW: from Schaeffers

Escalading Stock Prices
Posted on 12/5/2006 10:38 AM

Brief Summary:

This article acknowledges that General Motors (GM: sentiment, chart, options) has come a long way from the verge of bankruptcy over the past year or so, due to heavy cost cutting efforts by CEO Rick Wagoner.

http://www.schaeffersresearch.com/commentary/dailycontrarian.aspx?single=true&newsid=2419

Contrarian Takeaway:

Expectations are so low that anything short of a GM bankruptcy should be good for the shares.