Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

The IRS says that dependents must:
1. live with you the entire year, or be a specific relative (such as parent or child)
2. be a U.S. citizen or resident for at least part of the tax year
3. do not file a joint return with another person (unless done so only to receive a refund)
4. has gross income less than $2800 for 2000
5. has more than half their total support provided by you.

I think your parents would fail test 2, being a US citizen or resident. But see for more information.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.