Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Dougiedo writes:

<<Now
that they have been properly transferred to my name can I not transfer them to
another custodian (one with no fees and low commissions)?>>

I hope they haven't been transferred to your name for your sake because that will immediately void them and make them payable. They should be titled in the name of the decendent for the benefit of you. Such as " IRA of I.M. Gone, deceased FBO Dougiedo."

If they are not titled in that regard, then I'm sad to report that lifetime payments will not be available to you. OTOH, if they are, then by using the same kind of titling you could get them transferred to a new custodian. Be aware, though, that custodians regularly screw up this kind of transfer. Too often the gaining custodian will put the IRA in your name instead of in the name of the deceased. When that happens, it's too late and your payment schedule will be voided by the IRS. Just exercise extreme care here.

Regards..Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.