Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
DougK99,

Point taken. Let's see what happens, though. Cor wanted some answers and I gave him a few. It is just a reference point. I picked a cross section of common publications by publisher and an online source that seems to be unbiased (are any of us really unbiased? Don't our biases make us who we are?). The rags were just sent out last week, so they should be able to cram some "post-launch" reviews in their next editions. Optimized or no, we should see some rough estimates one way or another.

I would point out that this is also the first iteration of a long line of chips. There is no alternative, so the point is really moot. Just a game. As we all know, the market will ultimately decide. In that regard, I can't imagine consumers saying "Well, the price/performance ratio is unsatisfactory at this juncture." It would more likely be "I saved up enough money for the latest technology. I better go buy one." People jumped on the whole MMX thing like it ultimately mattered, didn't they?

The exit polls seem to show favorable reviews of RDRAM. (Is that what we are looking for?)

p

ps. One marketing thing I was pondering when driving to work. I think INTC has done well using the P2, P3, P4 and so on with the numbers. It keeps the public aware of the type as well at the iteration. AMD is calling their chips "Duron" and "Athlon" and such. This, to me, is a little confusing. We know that 4 is more than 3. That makes it obvious which one you want. You want the latest, get the higher number. More is better, right? Not so easy with the AMD stuff. Didn't Lex Luthor use "Duron" to defeat Superman? It is just a minor point. While the INTC naming convention may be less inspired, it is sure easier to know what the latest version is.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.