No. of Recommendations: 2
Dow's 31% gain during Trump's first year is the best since FDR

The 30-stock index has surged more than 31 percent since Trump's inauguration.

That marks the index's best performance during the first year of a president since Franklin Roosevelt.

"You've got lower taxes, less regulation and confidence in the economy is high," said one investor.

The S&P 500 has surged 23 percent during Trump's first year in office.

Donald Trump lifted the Dow Jones industrial average in his first year in office more than any other president since Franklin Roosevelt.

The Dow has surged more than 31 percent since Trump's inauguration on Jan. 20, 2017. That marks the index's best performance during a president's first year since Roosevelt. The Dow skyrocketed 96.5 percent during Roosevelt's first year in office.

More at:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/18/the-dows-31-percent-gain-dur...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Do you really think Trump is responsible for the booming world economy?

Stocks are priced for perfection.

Here's the thing that is interesting. Hiring slowed up. Long term unemployment increased. Wages are still stagnant There is still 25% slack in utilization of manufacturing capacity.
Here's the thing that is interesting. Hiring slowed up. Long term unemployment increased. Wages are still stagnant There is still 25% slack in utilization of manufacturing capacity.

Don't let your political bias blind you to investment oppertunities. Perhaps you'd like to argue with the people who wrote/edited the report?

Desert (who invested during the Obama years) Dave
No. of Recommendations: 9
It seems to me the biggest factor moving the market is the drop in marginal tax rate for businesses.

Dave, you are the one who consistently politicizes the economy, and this board. You seem to see everything as us versus them.

Furthermore, CNBC can be a biased source of partisan politics in support of big business and moneyed interests, so yeah, I can argue at times with their reporting. But I won't interrupt you constantly while you try to make a point, like Joe Kernen.
Don't let your political bias blind you...

Wow, just wow!

Pete
Don't let your political bias blind you to investment oppertunities. Perhaps you'd like to argue with the people who wrote/edited the report?

Heaven forbid! I made more money in the last two weeks as I made working my butt off the first two years I had a full time job.

I must admit I have a bias against fascism.
No. of Recommendations: 3
like Joe Kernen.

Kernan gives jerks a bad name.
Dave, you are the one who consistently politicizes the economy, and this board. You seem to see everything as us versus them.

The Dow is up 31% since the the election. So do you want to argue with the facts or the fact that you don't like them?

Furthermore, CNBC can be a biased source of partisan politics in support of big business and moneyed interests, so yeah, I can argue at times with their reporting.

(by the way thanks, nttconductor, for including the word "can" in you assessment. It shows that you are thinking as opposed to another here who thinks this is a board for updating us on the comings and goings of their family.)

Yes CNBC can be biased, but so can CBS, CNN, ABC, FOX and NBC. The trick is to dig out pertinent information from the tsunami of data that presents itself each day.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm in the market to make money. Why does it bother anyone that the market gains are being made during the current administration?

If it offends you that these gains are being made during the current administration do like Tim and put me on ignore.

I bought stocks during the previous administration and didn't complain about it. Don't let your political bias blind you to financial oppertunities.

Desert (CVX, XOM, T, BNS, BKH, ED, ATGFF, NI, NWN, TRP, WRE, WGL, WTR, XEL, DUK, O, SO & KO) Dave

Heaven forbid! I made more money in the last two weeks as I made working my butt off the first two years I had a full time job.

I must admit I have a bias against fascism.

Yeah, me too. Sorry if I came across too hard core.

Desert (CVX, XOM, T, BNS, BKH, ED, ATGFF, NI, NWN, TRP, ENB, WRE, WGL, XEL, DUK, SO & KO, WTR, O) Dave

YTD 2018 I've made enough money to cover two years of ordinary expenses. What's not to like?

The trick is not to lose it after the top -- It ain't over 'til it's over!

The Captain

Realised gains are taxed at varying rates. The "rate" on unrealised gains that disappear when the
market tanks never varies and won't be pretty.

t h
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

Realised gains are taxed at varying rates. The "rate" on unrealised gains that disappear when the market tanks never varies and won't be pretty.

Ya' got a point there, th! Not having to watch Wall Street like a hawk is one of the reasons I stick mainly to US companies that have been paying increasing dividends for at least 25 years.

Desert (CVX, XOM, T, BNS, BKH, ED, ATGFF, NI, NWN, TRP, ENB, WRE, WGL, XEL, DUK, SO & KO, WTR, O) Dave