Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Interesting Article in the China Daily.

http://www.china.org.cn/english/travel/74997.htm

Note that the Pudong financial area (the biggest concentration of skyscrapers) is sinking at the rate of over 10 millimeters per year.

Larry
Print the post Back To Top
People in Hong Kong love this news as they are really scared about the competition from Shanghai. So now they wont have to bother anymore as Shaghai will soon be disappeared.......!

;-)

rgds
Ganni
Larry,

I saw that article a week or so ago, or one like it. Funny that for all our glitz and glamor, we can't escape nature.

It noted that there are several large cities, like Tokyo, that are sinking even more quickly.

Not saying that this isn't bad, just that it's not unheard of.

Now, at 2 cm a year, you just wait 30 years for 10 feet or so of sinkage. Then you fill in around the bottom floors of the buildings, making a new basement level, and repave the streets.

That is, after all, what they did many times in Chicago. Another Chi-town alternative (the way Pullman made his first fortune, legend has it) is to get several hundred laborers with screw-jacks and lift the building a few milimeters at a time!

No. of Recommendations: 1
In 100 years, the conversations in downtown Shanghai will go something like this:

Shanghain: "We have more buildings over 80 floors than any city in the world!"

Visitor: "But the tallest building I see is only 40 floors."

Shanghain: "Yes...well, let me explain where the other 40 floors are."

----------

Visitor: "38th floor please"

Shanghai Elevator Operator: "Did you want to go to skyside 38, or to dirtside 38?"

----------

Street Vendor: "Get'cher subterranean mud-suits here for floors minus-1 through minus-40!"

----------

?:^/
No. of Recommendations: 1

Larry, if i promise to not make any more crazy posts for a while, will you get some sleep..i am starting to worry...subterranean mud-suits...

besides, Venice, Italy does very well with flooded, moldy basements. Shanghai will just have lower basements...And look at the upside(downside), eventually we can take the elevator to china...

Sleep