Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Drebbin: I did condemn Obama, when I got to the bottom of it and saw the whole context - back in 2008! Do note that this quote took place in June of 2008 - - before the election and at time when there was less anger in the system, and IT WAS IN RESPONSE to another comment about opponents arming themselves when going to public meetings. Each statement has to be taken in context. Obama's quote was a metaphor. Current contexts require more care in wording, because it has been demonstrated that incendiary words are being taken more seriously now, than then.

Shame on you for making assumptions about me ("You wouldn''t because you didn't"). Once I did my research, I can say I did, at the time, call his words stupid. I wish I could prove that to you, but unless you talk to my circle, you wouldn't know that. However, you don't know me, haven't exhibited any desire to get to know me, and have exhibited the biggest flaw I have with the right - they base their opinions on ASSUMPTIONS and extrapolate ANECDOTES to the greater whole. Using the logic of the right (let's see, so called "climategate" (involving a handful of emails between a few scientists from among the millions of emails between the 2000+ scientists involved) and "Acorngate" (involving a heavily edited 3 minute clip of which half was filmed AFTER visiting ACORN offices, out of who knows how much footage was shot because they won't release the unedited tapes)), just because people like Newt Gingrich and Rush Limbaugh have said some rather racist things (and both lost jobs because of it) then ALL REPUBLICANS MUST BE RACIST. Obviously that's wrong, but it proves my point, and the right seems very adept at mis-extrapolation for political gain and to incite a segment of their population. I now see Palin is even playing up the "war" metaphors in other contexts. At the least, in this climate when ACTUAL ACTIONS OF VIOLENCE HAVE OCCURRED, that's irresponsible. At most, it's just plain stupid and indicative of her lack of insight and character.

My point about the guy who threatened Cantor is that his MOTIVATIONS WERE NOT POLITICAL. He threatened BOTH SIDES, and an animation film studio. At best, he may be anti-semitic, but his actions were not those of an energized and incited faction - like the Tea Party, or Hutaree - who have advocated violence for political gain. There is a difference drebbin. The latter scare me because they see violence as a means to an end, and are convinced that those who oppose them are dispensable, and justify injury to the innocent as collateral damage. THAT is the most UN-AMERICAN thing I can think of.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.