Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have the same question as JRSFool - but I'll repeat it here...If you were to invest only $100/month, how are you going to beat the commissions? Even at $8/trade on the net it's still 8%. Also, if investing monthly in Foolish 4 - is that 4 x $8????
Print the post Back To Top
If you are in a Drip fund with no fees for purchases, every dollar you send in is fully invested in that stock. There is no "on-line" broker - it's a direct purchase. That is the advantage of the Drip, no (or relatively no) commissions.

DougFool
Wig,
Your message has probably already been answered 100 times by the time you get to this one but I always want to throw my $0.02 in, so here goes:

You would only be paying SureTrade (or Ameritrade) the $8 for the first share purchase. After that, you would be sending money directly to the company (like XON) or to the transfer agent of the company (Harris Trust or Chicago Trust, etc.). I'm not sure if your question has anything to do with trying to circumvent the charges that some companies (e.g. Home Depot) have for Optional Cash Purchases (OCP) by buying shares every month through a deep discount broker, but I don't see how it can ever become cost-effective, not to mention the paperwork you would have to fill out to transfer the shares every month over to your DRIP account for automatic dividend re-investment. It would be easier to just forgo any companies that charge for OCPs, at least that's my philosophy.

And yes, if you purchase the 4 stocks that make up the Foolish Four, you will pay a commission for each trade (4 x $8 = $32). This is rather inconsequential because you probably wouldn't be looking into the Fool Four until you had at least $1000 to spend on each. ($32 = 0.8% of $4000).

Hope this helps!

Fool on!
racerboy :-)