Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
There's a host of things I notice that warn me to the presence of someone who has their head up their . . . let's just say they're not taking their driving very seriously.

Here's some warning sign for me for instance; faliure to put new license tabs on top of old tabs; after pulling into parking place, opens door and begins to get out before turning car off; makes hand gestures when talking on cell phone while driving; driving a Mercury Villager, etc.

Anyone else notine any subtle yet damnable behaviors?

5Speed, just trying to keep the all 4 corners on my car.
Print the post Back To Top

Oh, plenty. Reading the paper at 70mph in his stylish Bimmer. Not checking the blind spot before changing lanes (my personal pet peeve). There's more but I gotta go to work.

Wot

Inappropriate braking.

Beginning a lane change before looking for clearance.

No head movement.

Wobbly wheels (lots of curb hits.)

Anyone in front, behind, or to the side of me ;-)

Twit

Does 'drives a Pinto/Gremlin' count? ;-)

Seriously, tho -- I bicycle most of the time, so one of the most common things
that I see is people opening their car door without checking for clearance.
I've actually gone back a couple of times when I've been almost hit by a car
door and informed the driver of the exact California Vehicle Code which states
very clearly their obligation as a driver to make sure it's safe to do so...

Vehicle Code

Opening and Closing Doors

22517. No person shall open the door of a vehicle on the side available to moving traffic unless it is reasonably safe to do so and can be done without interfering with the movement of such traffic, nor shall any person leave a door open upon the side of a vehicle available to moving traffic for a period of time longer than necessary to load or unload passengers.

Source: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22517.htm

Cheers!
~Markux
(...drives a '66 Chevelle with a ragin' mouse when not bicycling...)

Anyone else noti[c]e any subtle yet damnable behaviors?

=======================================================================

People driving in my blind spots, gesturing at me when I cut them off, and making me lose my place in the funnies when they honk at me - these can be particularly bothersome.

UncleLee

No. of Recommendations: 1
Anyone else notice any subtle yet damnable behaviors?

5Speed, just trying to keep the all 4 corners on my car.

Dents. If I see a dent on a car I know to be wary of that driver's lack of perception that would cause a dent in that area. Sure, I know, the dent could have been made by another family member yet I plan a maneuver so I am clear of what may have caused the original knock.

You'd be surprised (well, possibly you won't because you may already factor this) by the number of times I've seen a dent on the driver's side front and have that car come out of a parallel parking space on the street right in my path. And I stay waaaaay behind a car with a pushed in trunk – and, even though I am wary, there have been times when I have had to hit the brakes hard because a dented-trunker stopped fast.

Also, I live in White Rock, home of many seniors. If I can barely see the driver, man, am I wary.

MichaelR – Jester

I bicycle most of the time, so one of the most common things that I see is people opening their car door without checking for clearance. I've actually gone back a couple of times when I've been almost hit by a car door and informed the driver of the exact California Vehicle Code which states very clearly their obligation as a driver to make sure it's safe to do so...

Yes, one does need to be an alert bicyclist, Markux. One the other hand, bicycles are not motor vehicles so bicyclists should not try to observe motor vehicle rules of the road. Bicyclists should stay on the left-hand side of the road, facing traffic, and should stop, get off, and walk their bikes across signaled intersections. JMHO.

UncleLee

Bicyclists should stay on the left-hand side of the road, facing traffic

I don't know about other places but in California cyclists are required by law to ride in traffic lanes with the flow of traffic. No sidewalks, no left hand side of the street. Driving on the sidewalk is ok I think.

Wot
Yes, one does need to be an alert bicyclist, Markux. One the other hand, bicycles are not motor vehicles so bicyclists should not try to observe motor vehicle rules of the road. Bicyclists should stay on the left-hand side of the road, facing traffic, and should stop, get off, and walk their bikes across signaled intersections. JMHO.

UncleLee

Actually, California Vehicle Code governs us thus:

21200. (a) Every person riding a bicycle upon a highway has all
the rights and is subject to all the provisions applicable to the
driver of a vehicle
by this division, including, but not limited
to, provisions concerning driving under the influence of alcoholic
beverages or drugs, and by Division 10 (commencing with Section 20000),
Section 27400, Division 16.7 (commencing with Section 39000), Division
17 (commencing with Section 40000.1), and Division 18 (commencing with
Section 42000), except those provisions which by their very nature can
have no application.

(...with a number of subchapters, too, of course...!)

Not that anyone really is aware of that, of course, or abides by it...

Personally, tho, I try to ride safely and am not so foolish as to think that I can
enforce 'my rights as the driver of a vehicle' when faced-off with a Mack truck...

;-)

Cheers!
~Markux

I don't know about other places

Now I see the problem. It's all the Californians who've moved here and are cluttering up the left-turn lanes. <BSEG>

UncleLee

Now I see the problem. It's all the Californians who've moved here and are cluttering up the left-turn lanes. <BSEG>

UncleLee

Yep -- probably all the refugees who got spooked by the Northridge quake
back in '95 (?).

;-)

Cheers!
~Markux
(...I'd hate to see another quake like that, but I wouldn't mind the corresponding
fall in rent costs...!)

Yep -- probably all the refugees who got spooked by the Northridge quake back in '95 (?).

'94, but close enough. Anything that causes people to start leaving southern california instead of moving here is a good thing.

Wot
'94, but close enough. Anything that causes people to start leaving southern california instead of moving here is a good thing.

Wot

Man-oh-man, you can say that again!

I was down there in S.D. (doing my MFA at the Old Globe Theatre) when that quake
hit... Even from that far away, I still knew it was going to be a lu-lu when
it rolled through...

Cheers!
~Markux
Where do I start?

1. pulling into the center turn lane of a city street, then looking for a break in traffic, in which to merge,

2. riding at (or under) the speed limit, in the left lane of a two lane Interstate highway, and then, after a few miles of backing up traffic, initiating a move to the right lane before signaling with the right, rear blinker. aaaarrrrghhh...

Rural road hell: Following someone who's going 40 in a 55 zone. Then when the speed limit slows to 30, they still go 40.

No damping left: Check out the 6-year old Carvan, with the Mopar shocks; that solid rear axle is hopping like a guitar string.

No control: Mr./Mrs. Creosote can barely make their arms meet in the middle in the first place, or reach the pedals since the seat is all the way back. I hope they don't have to swerve to avoid anything breakable.

5, yikes

I was down there in S.D. (doing my MFA at the Old Globe Theatre) when that quake hit...

The only reason I remember it was '94 is that was my freshman year at UCSD. One of the girls that lived down the hall from me in the dorm was from Northridge. Her parents' house was damaged a bit but nothing too serious.

People always say they'd be afraid to live here because of the earthquakes but that doesn't seem to stop most of em. I'll take earthquakes every once in a while over tornados/floods/hurricanes/blizzards every year.

Wot
I'll take earthquakes every once in a while over tornados/floods/hurricanes/blizzards every year.

Wot

My thoughts exactly.

Cheers!
~Markux

Wot

Man-oh-man, you can say that again!

i would slightly re-phrase... anything that causes people to leave
by a means other than death is good.

don't recall a '94 at all.,
but ,iirc, the '89 up here killed eight-something,
and an earlier Northridge killed hundreds.....

-jpt

Well, I must have had a brain fart or something. My freshman year at UCSD was 89, my graduation year was 94. I must be thinking of the '89 quake. Anyway, we're getting pretty far off-topic now.

Wot

/////////
Well, I must have had a brain fart or something. My freshman year at UCSD was 89, my graduation year was 94. I must be thinking of the '89 quake. Anyway, we're getting pretty far off-topic now.

nope. you right...

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recent/recent.html

Northridge quake in 94...... 57 dead.

LomaPrieta (no.Cal) in 89..... 62 dead.

very strange i thought Northridge was before LP.

-jp
A jogger run in the direction facing traffic.I don't think that it is legal for a bicyclist to ride facing oncoming traffic.I'm pretty sure they would get a traffic ticket.

Driving a bicycle on the sidewalk is illegal in Pennsylvania.I was chased off one by a cop.
A jogger run in the direction facing traffic.I don't think that it is legal for a bicyclist to ride facing oncoming traffic.I'm pretty sure they would get a traffic ticket.
===*===

I thought pedestrians on foot are always supposed to face oncoming traffic (assuming there is no sidewalk for them).

knight427
joggers,yes
bikers,no
Tailgaters adn people that don't use signals prior to starting a lane/direction change. Also people that do not setup for where they are going, but cut from the highspeed lane ot the right to make a left turn!!!!!!
No. of Recommendations: 1
5SpeedFool,

I've the THE WINNER right here:

A woman was seen on the (Washington) Capital Beltway, driving at speed (at least 55, but on the Beltway, is generally 70), painting her toenails. Her foot was on the dash.

Charles