Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
They really cut the cajones off Hockenheim. How sad.

Speed Channel is (just about) all NASCAR, all the time. How sad.

I saw both a silver and black Z8 over the weekend, that was cool.

Whenever I wash my car, it rains soon after. Yesterday, I did my car, the wife's car, and my Suzuki. Within 2 hours we had biblical-style rain. Car was in the garage.

This morning, sunny and perfect. Get to work, they're effing sprinkling the grass. Yea, see, it rained last night. Anyway today the runoff covers the corporate driveway, and my car gets it. How sad.

5Speed
Print the post Back To Top
Within 2 hours we had biblical-style rain.
===*===

40 days and 40 nights? Cool. : Þ

40 days and 40 nights?

Yea, but it was all packed into about 3 hours. The sky was green briefly . . .

5Speek Ark bulider
RE: "40 days and 40 nights?"

Well, if Methusela lived 969 years, that would make 40days/40nights more like 3-4 days of rain. Still, a lot of water! (enough to rain out all the racing up here in Nortern MN this weekend)

Continuing on a Biblical vein, would a modern Noah build a giant SUV to
evade the flood waters? A giant HumVee?
The sky was green briefly . . .
===*===

Green is scary, blueblack too.
evade the flood waters?
===*===

Er....Noah hardly evaded them flood waters. Can a Hummer float?
Nah, he'd just drive straight through it in his vertically-stretched-station-wagon-marketed-as-a-serious-off-road-SUV, thereby sucking in water and ruining the entire engine.

At least, that's what everybody near me seems to try. ;)

Jeff
RE: Can a Hummer float?

Probably not when loaded with animals, but with a lift kit and some divine assistance it could perhaps rise above the flood?

SB,

Neither Bible scholar nor SUV/Hummer fan.
Can a Hummer float?

Hullo?!?! It'd be a Beetle-Ark. Beetles float.

BTW, getting a black 2002 Firehawk next month...

Moonglade
(living beyond her means a smidge, but hey, it's the last year!)
No. of Recommendations: 2
Speed Channel is (just about) all NASCAR, all the time.

IMHO, WRONG!

Last Saturday and Sunday saw coverage on APBA, WOO, SPEED TOURING CAR, SPEED GT, STAR MAZDA, FIA, F1, IHBA, AMA, FIM, CART, and NASCAR, not to mention automotive and aircraft shows! Is that coverage not varied enough for you?

Your uninformed whining makes the other F1, Cart, Motorbike, IRL, WRC, etc. fans look bad by association.

NASCAR TV is the primary theme only 3 weekdays each week, check Speedvision's listings for yourself if you don't believe me: http://www.speedtv.com/programs/?lvl=1s&cat=3

BTW, if you watched a few NASCAR races you might actually like it, or is that too scarey to consider. You really don't need screaming 15,000 rpm engines, digital steering wheel tachs, and "sneeze and it'll break" race cars for a good, interesting race!

Try to get past your "my friends might call be Bubba if I like NASCAR" fears. I'm a Mensa Member and NASCAR is not too low brow for me, so what's your beef? You are not watching your Motorsports with in an Ascot sipping Champagne are you?

Personally, I find most "european style" racing ends too quickly for my liking. Sunday's 500 mile NASCAR race in Pocono on the other hand kept me glued to the set for literally hours! NASCAR has the same excitement and thrills to offer as your favorite racing series, trust me.

After all racing is racing isn't it?

docrobot
RE: "racing is racing"

Pretty much so. I've been a NASCAR fan since before it was ever televised, but I admit I find some of their recent antics distressing.

ASA is pretty good, and I have to admit that the CART/Indy/USAC open-wheelers have had some pretty exciting races this year. I like the USAC mindgets running on both asphalt and dirt.

My cousin's son competes in professional ralley racing, and I know lots of drag racers, but since there is no strip with 200 miles of here, I've never really followed it that closely.

I try and appreciate the sophistication of F1, and I'll even watch bikes and snowmobiles on tv if I have to, but my real love is dirt track racing. WOO Sprints are pretty much 900 hp, 1 tire, a wing and a driver. About the only more elemental form of racing would be on foot. (and foot racing is the only Olympic sport I watch.)

To Each Their Own,
SB
They really cut the cajones off Hockenheim

Since I live about 10 miles from Hockenheim Ring, one of these years I'm may actually going try and go to the F1. It's great just hearing the cars from my town.

Of coarse with a bazillion people, I'm still not sure if I want to do the crowd thing.

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hey, docrobot, how's it going today? I mean really.

Perhaps you're new to the Speed Channel and it's recent change of priorities, so let me help you: Add up all the hours of coverage of FIA GT, ELMS, Porsche Supercup, BTCC, Australian Supercars, Japanese Touring Car, F3000; you know, stuff they used to carry, and you get zero. On Monday alone, Speed had 7 NASCAR shows, and none were the Cup race, Busch race, or Pick-up race.

Personally, I find most "european style" racing ends too quickly for my liking.

Speed used to show all 60 hours of Le Mans, Sebring and Daytona. Hell, those guys at Pocono gave it up after about 3 hours or so.

BTW, if you watched a few NASCAR races you might actually like it, or is that too scarey to consider.

From 1984 to 1995, I didn't know any other racing existed besisdes NASCAR. I guess I've just moved on to other things that interst me more.

You really don't need screaming 15,000 rpm engines, digital steering wheel tachs, and "sneeze and it'll break" race cars for a good, interesting race!

Good point. Some race series use screaming 8,000 rpm engines, iron steering wheels, and cars so tough that even after the driver gets killed, y'all can still git that thang out on th' track to git s'more points.

Hey, watch what you want. I sure can't argue with numbers; folks just love that roundy-round NASCAR. But just because I'm bored to tears by cookie-cutter, carburated, pushrod commercials that only trun left is no reason to get pissy.

I'm a Mensa Member and NASCAR is not too low brow for me

Cripes, I'll watch the diesel tractors lap road courses. Please don't tell my my ascot/Champagne friends about that. Also, thanks for making all those presumptions about me, and what I like, and, jeez, congratulations on the Mensa thing.

5Speed, begging Murdoch for coverage of Goodwood.
On Monday alone, Speed had 7 NASCAR shows, and none were the Cup race, Busch race, or Pick-up race.

I did say that Speed does load up 3 weekdays with NASCAR, I'm glad you agree with something I posted...

Speed used to show all 60 hours of Le Mans, Sebring and Daytona. Hell, those guys at Pocono gave it up after about 3 hours or so.

I did see the 40th Annual Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona in Feburary on Speed Channel, where were you 5Speed? Here's a link to catch you up: http://www.endurancesportscar.com/2002rolex.htm Check out their main page too, lots of good stuff there: http://www.endurancesportscar.com/

Yes, there are longer races than NASCAR, but I was refering to F1, CART, etc., 20, 30 or 40 laps barely heat up those big ass tires!

It actually takes longer for a F1 racer to suit up, say a prayer, kiss his girlfriend for luck, and actually crawl into his car and warm up the engine than it takes to run the race. Where's the fun in that? I mean, don't those guys have any stamina? Their girlfriends must get pissed at them!

Some race series use screaming 8,000 rpm engines...

NASCAR motors now do about 9,400 rpm for 500 miles at Pocono. Things have improved a little since you watched in 1995. And they have to do all their driving at a track on one engine, including happy hours and time trials. that could be 600 or 700 miles on one "race" engine. How many miles do they put on a F1 engine between tear downs?

I'm bored to tears by cookie-cutter, carburated, pushrod commercials that only trun left is no reason to get pissy.

Duh, the reason why they are cookie-cutter is that NASCAR trys (as best they can, admittedly) to make the cars the same to showcase the drivers, not the hardware. Would Michael Schumaker be top dog if he was driving for Arrows, Minardi, or Toyota instead of Ferrari? You wish! As a matter of fact would he be top dog if his team mate didn't lap dog to the sponsors to let him win?!?

As for race cars being commercials, doesn't your favorite racing league have car sponsors too 5Speed? Even local dirt track cars use local sponsors. Someone has to pay the bills of racing, especially if it isn't on TV anymore... (very slight dig!)

Welcome to the club 5Speed, its good to see you can get confrontational, presumptuous, and pissy too. Makes you feel alive though doesn't it!

Relax man, Anger is just not good for your health; especially at our elevated age! I'd whip your butt if I could get mine out of this chair!

LOL!

docrobot
Since I live about 10 miles from Hockenheim Ring, one of these years I'm may actually going try and go to the F1. It's great just hearing the cars from my town.

Of coarse with a bazillion people, I'm still not sure if I want to do the crowd thing.

Do it! I went to the last F1 held at Watkins Glen, and still have great memories. You're lucky to live so close to the site. Take advantage of it.
No. of Recommendations: 3
I'm a Mensa Member and NASCAR is not too low brow for me, so what's your beef?

Dear Mensa,

I'll not be taking your proctored exam after all. Please try to get over your disappointment.

Regards,
Twit
No. of Recommendations: 3
don't those guys have any stamina?

=======================================================================

The fellows that compete in F1 are some of the most physically fit athletes in professional sports. The typical beer-bellied, fried chicken-for-lunch NASCAR driver would swallow his tobacco before turn 2 at any F1 race.

UncleLee

P.S. Sorry, Junior, nothing personal.

The typical beer-bellied, fried chicken-for-lunch NASCAR driver...
===*===

Ok smarty pants, name one. You're talking about the fans there, not the drivers. That's like sayin' yer F1 drivers are typically high strung, pouty mouthed, effete, gay wealthy Europeans. In reality all automobile racing drivers are a pretty fit lot. You and me, on the other hand, less so.

Raggmopp
*burrrp*
In reality all automobile racing drivers are a pretty fit lot.

You're correct, sir, as usual. I guess my selective-memory recalled the good old days when A.J. Foyt could barely fit behind the wheel.

UncleLee
RE: "You're talking about the fans there"

If you want to see really odd sized fans, visit your local dirt track on Saturday night. Many years ago I observed that at 5'10", 165 lbs I appeared to be about the only normal sized person at the track, in the pits or in the stands. Everyone else is either really small, or really, really big!
If you want to see really odd sized fans, visit your local dirt track on Saturday night.
===*===

Or any monster truck rally/tractor pull, though that's probably at best considered niche er...well...motor sports.
You're correct, sir, as usual. I guess my selective-memory recalled the good old days when A.J. Foyt could barely fit behind the wheel.

And nobody had the 'guts' to tell him so ;-)
In "the good old days", before power steering, it took a pretty big fellow to wrestle a stock car around a track.
Nowadays, the only benefit of being a pretty big fellow is to dope slap Arie Lyundyk.

5Speed, speaking of one Mr. Anthony Joseph Foyt.
And nobody had the 'guts' to tell him so ;-)
===*===

Not if'n you knew what was good for you. I've read [Car & Driver IIRC] that A.J.'d as soon smack you upside the haid as look at you.
Not if'n you knew what was good for you. I've read [Car & Driver IIRC] that A.J.'d as soon smack you upside the haid as look at you.

I forget the race, maybe it was Indy. Back when computer calculated fuel consumption was fairly new and iffy. That footage of AJ picking up the laptop and slamming it down was priceless, when his car ran out of fuel. Too bad the mic was off.

Twit
evade the flood waters? A giant HumVee?

Now where do you go to get a socket set in cubits? Is it fractional?
RE: "where do you go to get a socket set in cubits?"

I think this was the sizing system used by old MG's and Triumph/BSA motorcyles?

That's why God invented Crescent wrenches.

UncleLee

It wasn't until I got a metric motorcycle tool kit (with a Suzuki) that I became aware of the term "spanner" wrench. That just means open-ended, correct?

5Speed
I forget the race, maybe it was Indy. Back when computer calculated fuel consumption was fairly new and iffy. That footage of AJ picking up the laptop and slamming it down was priceless, when his car ran out of fuel. Too bad the mic was off.

==========||==========

That extra fuel was probably somewhere in Somkey Unich's frame rails.

==========||==========

Good thing Noah used the Brit's sockets and not the Lucas electrical parts.
Good thing Noah used the Brit's sockets and not the Lucas electrical parts.
===*===

And not for nothing was Mr. Lucas known in England as the Prince of Darkness. : Þ
I became aware of the term "spanner" wrench. That just means open-ended, correct?

I think spanner is more of the adjustable, maybe lefthanded.
RE: "the term "spanner" wrench"

In US parlance, a spanner wrench is generally used for non-flat sided fasteners where the connection is made by points or tabs fitting into slots or notches on the "nut". You see then most commonly on spindles.
No. of Recommendations: 1

A "spanner" is the British term for a "wrench" and is found in many sizes and shapes.

Available in British / American / Metric sizes this tool can be single - ended / double - ended / adjustable / open or "closed" (ring spanner) etc. etc. and weigh from less than an ounce for precision work to extremely large units that a crane (or hoist) needs to be used to position them.

(Remember using spanners that weighed 150 + lbs when loosening / tightening nuts on the huge nuts found on marine machinery - - - e.g. cylinder heads and bearings on marine diesel engines / line shaft bolts and, biggest of all, the nut that holds the propeller in place on the large vessels of the '50's / '60s before the "hydraulic wrench" became common).

silco
In US parlance, a spanner wrench is generally used for non-flat sided fasteners where the connection is made by points or tabs fitting into slots or notches on the "nut". You see then most commonly on spindles.

Ya, outside of the British use of the term "spanner" for any wrench, I've always thought that the spanner wrench was used to 'span' the bolt or spindle in the way you describe. It's much handier than a hammer and punch.

Twit
RE: "the spanner wrench was used to 'span' the bolt"

Right. I'm glad you understood that. I had one hell of a time trying to describe it in writing. It's also sometimes used in transmissions and differentials.

I dunno. I'm a left-hander, and nobody has ever given me special wrenches.

5, just prolonging this.
RE: "I'm a left-hander, and nobody has ever given me special wrenches"

Just hold a regular wrench up to a mirror!

SB (also a lefty)
Zzzzzz...

docrobot
Just hold a regular wrench up to a mirror!

==========||==========

Or specialize in draining radiators and removing lug nuts from the passenger's side of some '60's vehicles.
Somebody is due for a left-handed compliment about now...

Twit
RE: "Somebody is due for a left-handed compliment about now"

Well, how about:

In Chinese the word for lefthandedness (zuopiezi) also can mean smart.

DISCLAIMER: SB does not speak Chinese. He ran across this interesting item yesterday in doing research for a Post to one of the MF Food Boards.
Somebody is due for a left-handed compliment about now...

==========||===========

I understand they're readily available in Akron.

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?mid=16913199&bid=112958
I understand they're readily available in Akron.

Those and golf are about it, since you can't get tires there anymore.

Twit
Spanner Wrench is a socket like contraption with finger-like doodads that turn a spanner unt, fingers aranged correspondingly with the shape of the nut's divots. Are we clear on that???

I have 1 and I'm not clear on it.
Spanner Wrench is a socket like contraption with finger-like doodads that turn a spanner unt, fingers aranged correspondingly with the shape of the nut's divots. Are we clear on that???

See the following post.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=17613882

silco