Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Dropping comp on the car I have, sure. Dropping collision: That's what I'm disagreeing on...................................................

We seem to be fixated on nickles and dimes here. That and the possibility that Dean said comp when he meant to type Collision?

In my mind insurance is there to keep some guy that I run over from getting my house and all my other assets(if any), leaving me to live in a box under a bridge :) The replacement of my car is almost irrelevant except as mentioned in the following paragraph.

Or to avoid making payments for the next 48 months on a car that has burned to the ground, or been crushed by a semi truck.

With the exception of cars that are still being financed, we're looking at deciding whether to pay $5000 in premiums* over the life of the car to protect ourselves from a $5000 loss ?

Pete

* this is assuming for the ease of calculating, $500/year for the collision coverage and an average of 10 years between claims, your actual numbers may vary
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.