Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
There was a thread a bit back about IL vs NV state taxes. I'm in a similar situation and I'm very confused on how I should handle things.

Here is my situation:

I'm self-employed and live in AR. In 1999 and Jan-Nov 2000, I traveled occasionally to my client's site in MS (255 miles, 26 days in 1999, 21 days in Jan-Nov 2000).

The client pays me by the hour, reimburses me $0.31/mile for travel, long distance charges, and pays $26/day 'per diem' for meals.

In 1999, I reported the mileage and per diem as regular income (even tho it wasn't reported on my 1099) and then took the deductions... mileage on Sched C Line 10, and meals on Line 24b, subject to 50% limitation.

In Dec 2000, my client started providing me with an apartment near their location. They pay the rent and all utilities except for the phone.

My questions are:
(1) In 1999, was I correct in the way I reported the mileage and meals? If so, can I do the same in 2000?
(2) In 1999, could I have used 50% of the $30/day 'Federal Meal & Incidental Expense' rate? and if so, can I use the M&IE rate in 2000?
(3) In 1999, should I have reported MS income, even tho I was only there 26 days during the year and staying in a hotel? if not, will I have to in 2000?
(4) Going forward, will I have to report MS income now that I will be there most weeks Mon-Fri? (returning to AR on the weekends)
(5) Can I deduct other costs associated with the Apartment as businss expenses? For example, I need/want to furnish the Apartment with a Washer/Dryer, Furniture, TV, VCR. And if so, are they Section 179 eligible?
(6) Does owning a house in another town in MS (which is a rental and is 90 miles from the work location) throw any other wrenches into the mess?
(7) Are any of the client-paid apartment costs considered 'income' that also may or may not be deductible expenses?
(8) Should I just move to TN where there are no state income taxes? :-z

I know there are a lot of questions and I probably need to talk to a tax-smart CPA both here in AR and in MS... but thanks for any advice you can offer...

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.