Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
During the separation, I became increasingly tired of having to deal with his personal mail that continued to come addressed to the home (where I live and have lived). Language was inserted into the divorce agreement that I would only be bound to forward his mail for 30 days post divorce, he was to change his mailing address.

After all this time, I continue to receive his mail at the home address address, . . .

Been there, lived through that. For a period of time, I wrote "No such person at this address" on the envelope and gave it back to the post office. I think I alternated between putting it back in my box for the carrier, and dropping it in a blue mail box. How well the post office processed it was Not My Problem; but it didn't take long for everything but junk mail to stop. (9 years after she drove away, and 7 years after the divorce was final I still get ads from the local paper asking her to re-subscribe.)

. . . but interestingly enough - only the critical stuff - like IRS documents & correspondence and now his drivers license that was recently renewed. I don't suppose it's illegal to use the address of a property you own, for mailing purposes - even if you have not lived there for quite some time - but it does make me curious/concerned why the rest of his mail appears to be going to the right place, but these pieces are not?

Given his undying affection for debt, could this somehow be related to securing credit?

Could be, but it's Not Your Problem any more. Your problem is limited to finding the most convenient way to eliminate this nuisance from your daily life. I suspect that if the Department of Motor Vehicles gets his license back marked "No Such Person at This Address," you won't have to worry about any future drivers licenses for him.

Patzer
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.