Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
duuwhee said:

<<I agree with you about the prospects for litigation resulting in a catastrophic decision, although you seem biased, calling the lawyer merely "ambitious" while labeling the scientist a "quack" :)>>

OK, I'll call the lawyer "sneaky" and the scientist "misguided" ;>)

<<That said, drugs are discontinuous innovations. Drugs cross the chasm. Drugs enter the bowling alley. Drugs are proprietary. Drugs have high switching costs. Doctors and hospitals rally around the market leading drug and standardize on the product, excluding competitors. All classic gorilla criteria.>>

Yes, that would seem to be the case. I guess the variables I mentioned might make it more difficult to apply Gorilla Game analysis to drug companies, but wouldn't necessarily preclude it. There are also the companies in the biotech supply chain like Millenium and Celera that don't make or market drugs, but perhaps behave more like high tech infrastructure or platform companies.

I wonder, though, if we "standardize" around drugs to the degree we do with other high tech products. Does a given drug generate new, related enterprises that support and reinforce the use of that particular drug, or does the drug product pretty much stand on its own until a better one comes along? Similarly, what are the switching costs associated with drug products? If a given drug becomes popular, but a more effective drug come along, it's relatively easy to switch, whereas if you've invested tens of millions of dollars in CSCO routers, you're less inclined to switch to an entirely new system.

Again, I suppose this wouldn't necessarily prevent application of Gorilla Game analysis to drug products, it might simply make fewer biotech enterprises eligible as Gorillas.

<<I'm intrigued as well by the melding of hi tech with biotech. Chips embedded in cells, etc.
The companies that combine the two will truly be gorilla candidates.>>

Yes, I think it's inevitable that they will increasingly intertwined as biotech becomes more predictable and precise, more digitally oriented. How this will fit within Gorilla Game analysis remains to be seen. Cheers.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.