Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello,

I purchased a duvet last year that is a full/queen size, with dimensions of 88"x90". However, apparently there is no 'standard' size for full/queen duvet covers -- I've seen everything from 86x86 to 94x90. Most seem to be 88x88.

My question -- can an 88x90 duvet fit into an 88x88 cover? Will it look bad to have those 2 extra inches crammed in there, or will I not even be able to fit the duvet inside the cover?

Also, is there a place to shop for duvet covers BY DIMENSIONS? All the websites I've found have the size designation (twin, full, etc) and then you have to click each option to find out the real dimensions, which takes forever.

Thanks for your help!
Laura
Print the post Back To Top
I wouldn't worry about it.

Duvets are a more casual look, and an inch or two isn't going to matter. Heck, I had a twin comforter in a full/queen duvet for a while and it wasn't particularly noticeable. An extra inch or two won't hurt.

One tip for getting the comforter into the duvet. I hope I can describe this.

Lay the comforter the right way on the bed. Lay the INSIDE OUT duvet on top of the comforter so the sides line up correctly. The stick your arms into the duvet and grab the corners on the far side. With your hands in the duvet, grab the coordinating corners of the comforter.

Keep a FRIM grip and shake/pull the duvet right side out over the comforter. Then button up the open end. Then I generally then go around the sides, grab the duvet and the edge of the comforter inside it, and give it a monster shake. That gets it laying out flat inside the duvet.

You can also buy snaps and attach them inside the duvet and to the corner of the comforter if you find that it doesn't stay put inside very well.

So are you suggesting that a too-big duvet is better? That would allow extra material at one end that I could sew or pin closed to fit.

Or is a too-small cover better, and I'd just 'crunch' the comforter into it?

I purchased a burgundy satin duvet that has same-colored stripes (does that make sense?), in the 88x88 size. Since the duvet is somewhat more elegant, would having it in an ill-fitting size look bad?

Thanks!
Laura
I'm saying don't worry about it. :) If it were me and I WAS going to worry about it, I'd buy a duvet an inch or two smaller than the comforter. A little extra filling is not a problem.

I know what you're describing and it sounds lovely. However, duvets generally don't have the same tailored look as comforters alone. If you are very concerned with it looking like it does in the picture, you might just want to reconsider the whole duvet concept. They don't lay as smooth on the bed, they get rumpled easier, and the comforter does tend to shift around inside them.

I think it will look fine if you can handle a slightly more casual look. For me, it doesn't matter because I rarely make the bed. When I do make the bed though, it never comes close to looking like the pictures.

BUT - duvets are nice because they can be taken off and washed easily. That's the selling point for me. I don't know how people sleep with comforters all the time that rarely get washed. I DID see a guy I know spray his with Febreeze and thought Eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww......

Plus you don't need a top sheet because you're washing the duvet.
I did have a comforter fold within the duvet cover, so I used safety pins on the inside of the duvet cover to pin all 4 corners of the comforter to keep it flat inside.
Thanks for your advice and reassurance. :-)

I don't mind if the overall effect isn't perfect (I don't think....). I was actually a little concerned that the deep-colored satin with stripes might be a little too formal for my tastes, but a slightly rumpled look will be great.

I will pin or snap the comforter inside, as has been suggested, to keep the comforter from shifting. I do make my bed everyday, but no military corners or anything like that -- just smooth the comforter over the top.

Your top two selling points are the exact reason I got a comforter and duvet -- ease of washing the cover, and no need for a topsheet, which I HATE.

Thank you!!
Laura
No. of Recommendations: 1
Having some experience with duvet covers. I am actual on this site to learn about finances but as you can see I've already wandered away from that subject which I find so boring but need to know about because I buy way too many duvet covers. (I actually watched a HGTV Design show where a woman had The Same Bedroom Valances and Comforter for 20 years! I am not making this up!) I can assure you that it looks much better if the down comforter is a little bigger than the actual duvet cover. It will fluff more.