No. of Recommendations: 0
DW and I have been on the board for a local Down syndrome support group for nearly 10 years. I'd recommend having an accountant and lawyer on the board if you can at all swing it. Helps having that advice.

For us the board is the group that organizes family events and yes, is primarily responsible for fundraising but we only do 1 fund raiser a year.

You will need a lawyer to do your 501(c)3 paper work for the IRS. Anyone that donates to the organization is going to need a copy of that so they can show the IRS you are indeed a non-profit. Until you have that, you aren't one.

Thank you, very useful.

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.