No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, it just hit me the risk of having an online only bank account.

The darn post office. NetFlix has a statement that they are dependent on the post office which could affect their performance....of course, they are a public company now.

But, until recently...I hadn't really been that concerned about FIBI being my only bank account.

Locally, our company has a relationship with a Credit Union.... Which came about because 20+ years ago, we used to be a division of an entity that was a CU member....but since that time, we have changed hands many times...and are now part of a completely different company....in fact the old part is quite small (though I now work within that small product group). But, the CU doesn't have a branch nearby...but, a lot of co-workers have accounts...where they do all their banking online and at ATMs, resorting to mailing their deposits in.

Anyways....I mailed a deposit ($250) on May 20th....being in Ohio...I usually expect to see it in my account in 2-3 days....but on Saturday I was worried. I wrote on Sunday....they responded on Tuesday (after the holiday)....they hadn't seen it yet. Now I was really beginning to worry...I had never tried going after somebody to replace a check that I had lost trying to deposit.... Especially, since it took quite an effort to get the first check....the $250 is the max for an Amazon.com auction that went bad, where the seller refused my Amazon.com payment (I should've backed out at that point....) The auction went back in January...but I only finally got the check on May 18th.

Fortunately...the check arrived and FIBI credited my account with it.

I suppose I was more worried, in that I had already mapped out how to spend the $250...that I had given up on seeing. So, on Wednesday I had turned the point where I had accepted that I wasn't going to get to spend it....and now I'm planning to spend it again. Of course, that's really easy....I have a huge list of things I need to buy...but don't feel that I'm in a hurry enough to get (so I'll wait until I can afford it and/or it becomes cheaper....though today I had to run out and buy something at retail price, even though I knew of places online that had it cheaper....$50 in the store, $30 online....but that was more because I had other stuff to get from the online store...to spread out the shipping cost.)

However....now that I live in a place where there are no branches near me....(and I don't drive)....I guess I'll have to live with the risk that the post office will lose or inexplicably delay my mail....or consider spending money on special delivery of bigger checks....

The Dreamer.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.