Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The feral gummint rejected my TurboTax e-file. TurboTax said it was because a listed dependent had already been claimed on a tax return filed for 2013. We have no dependents.

OR, one of us was claimed as a dependent. The only way that could have happened is if somebody fraudulently used one of our SSNs for a dependent. Or the Social Security Administration did something funny with DW's SSN when she became a naturalized citizen earlier this year.

I double-checked our SSNs and then tried a second time to e-file. No go.

I see another trip to the post office in my immediate future.

--fleg
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
I see another trip to the post office in my immediate future.

Yep.

Can you give the exact reject code? It will be a fairly short code - around 8-10 characters or so, mostly digits. TT might be hiding it from you and attempting to explain it.

The IRS has some decent help with identity theft here: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Taxpayer-Guide-to-Identity-Theft

--Peter
OR, one of us was claimed as a dependent. The only way that could have happened is if somebody fraudulently used one of our SSNs for a dependent.

or someone made a mistake. Social Security numbers do not contain any check digits. Since most social security numbers are issued to children, those with social security numbers close to hers will likely be infants.
Can you give the exact reject code?

From the TurboTax email informing me of the rejection:

R0000-902-01 - Taxpayer TIN in the Return Header must not be the same as a TIN of a previously accepted electronic return for the return type and tax period indicated in the tax return.

Thanks for the IRS link.

--fleg
No. of Recommendations: 6
OK - that code has nothing to do with dependents. It's your social security number that has been used to file a return.

Welcome to the world of identity theft.

Go to that link I gave earlier and start in on the identity theft info. I'd suggest starting with the ID theft hotline at 800-908-4490.

You'll need to file on paper and it's going to take some time to get your tax refund, if you have one coming. I've heard they're down to about 3 months or so to get these done. It used to take 6 months or more to process refunds for ID theft victims. Apparently, the IRS is getting good at this. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. It's good that they're improving. It's bad that they're improving by lots and lots of practice.

Best of luck to you, and ask more questions as needed.

--Peter
I'd suggest starting with the ID theft hotline at 800-908-4490.

Just called them and the message said to include a copy of my ID and the identity theft form (Form 14039) along with my tax return. Too late -- the return went in the mail an hour ago. I suppose I could send those things in a separate envelope, both mine and my wife's, since we don't know which SSN is the problem.

Is that what I should do?

--fleg
I'd wait for the letter you'll get from the IRS in a couple of weeks. They'll probably ask you to send the form and your ID directly to the IRS office handling your case.

--Peter

PS - I think it's your SSN that is the problem. Had the error code ended in 02, I believe that would be your spouse.
I tried to check my credit reports online but could only access one of them. It showed that my credit was checked by Ford Motor Company and Progressive Insurance in the last half of 2012. We never applied to purchase anything from either of those companies. But there were no accounts open or any other transactions that aren't ours.

--fleg
No. of Recommendations: 1
Can you give the exact reject code?

This is the IRS' listing of all(?) of the Business Rules/error codes:

http://www.irs.gov/PUP/efile/Fixing_Your_Rejection.pdf

Eric Hines
(fleg:) It showed that my credit was checked by Ford Motor Company and Progressive Insurance in the last half of 2012. We never applied to purchase anything from either of those companies.
============================
Did you buy a car and pay with a personal check? I remember a dealer running a credit check for that, even though I was a repeat customer. (Later, a different location owned by the same dealer would only take a cashier's check on delivery, my impeccable credit notwithstanding.)

As for the insurance, did you have an accident, or other claim involving another driver?

Bill
Did you buy a car and pay with a personal check?

No, the last car we bought was in 2006 and it wasn't a Ford.

As for the insurance, did you have an accident, or other claim involving another driver?

Possibly. There was an accident a few years ago but I don't remember the date or the at-fault driver's insurance company.

So, if somebody else used my SSN on a return, what will the IRS do, if anything? Charge him with tax fraud or some such thing?

--fleg
So, if somebody else used my SSN on a return, what will the IRS do, if anything? Charge him with tax fraud or some such thing?

--fleg

The IRS is swapped with identity theft issues. I wouldn't count on having anyone charged with identity theft. If it was just a mistake, they would only need to correct their return.