Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Will I be able to add a written explanation & still e-File or will this require a "manual" submission?

I have a ROTH IRA distribution in 2009. It is not taxable. The instructions for form 8606 says to show it on line 15a of the 1040 but not 15b. Then the instruction says to include a written explanation.

Is it possible to do that & e-File?
Cylkis
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have a ROTH IRA distribution in 2009. It is not taxable. The instructions for form 8606 says to show it on line 15a of the 1040 but not 15b. Then the instruction says to include a written explanation.

A little further explanation since I'm the one who directed OP here. This was a return of a 2008 contribution and negative earnings in March 2009 with a 2009 1099-R coded "P." OP already knows to file an amended 2008 return.

The question is strictly can you e-file with attached statements, and if so, how?

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
No. of Recommendations: 3
The question is strictly can you e-file with attached statements, and if so, how?

If it is one of the situations listed on Form 8453, attach your statement to that form, e-file the return and mail the form and attachment in. If it's not listed there, you have to file on paper.

An alternative, which is probably less than kosher, but might get the job done: File the return electronically, omitting the item in question. Then file an amended return, which is always done on paper, to add the skipped item. That would get you the refund speed of e-filing, and still get the return done correctly in the end.

--Peter

It depends on the software. I can attach up to 20 explanations of up to 4000 characters each to efile returns prepared with my professional software. I don't know if consumer tax software can do this.

Ira
If there is no way an explanation can be put on the tax form couldn't the OP file electronically without the explanation then have it ready if/when a question is raised by the IRS?

Bob
Just out of curiosity, would you mind tell me who makes the software you use?

I am not a tax preparer, I am just curious.

Gordon
Atlanta
Just out of curiosity, would you mind tell me who makes the software you use?

I am not a tax preparer, I am just curious.

Intuit ProSeries.

Ira
Thanks Ira - that is the software our tax person uses. She is very satisfied with it, except for the price.<BG>

Gordon
Atlanta