Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
EA said that we should be able to get an Inherited IRA for both myself and my brother. Schwab said No. The Credit Union will be mailing me information on our options. I guess I really won't know till then and I'll go over those options with my lawyer.
==============================================
My parent had an IRA in a trust, or a trust was the primary beneficiary, or something. Us kids were the ultimate beneficiaries. I don't recall the details. What I do recall is I hired a lawyer who said the trust could legally be split into separate Inherited IRAs for each kid. The money was at Schwab. Schwab said they wouldn't do it. Our lawyer said that Schwab was often difficult but other brokerages were more flexible. They suggested Fidelity. We transferred the trust to Fidelity who happily split it into separate Inherited IRAs following the directions of our lawyer.

=============================================
Schwab can just be that way when it comes to estates and trusts. The local office representatives have little/no discretion to do anything; they have to run things through their "estate & trust team" which used to be in Orlando, and maybe still is. Knowing that, when I had to talk to them, I could not escape the image that I was talking to people wearing Mickey Mouse hats. When we were dealing with my dad's estate, I would tell my sister, "Yeah, I had to call the Mouseketeer Team again."

Bill
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.