No. of Recommendations: 18
Hi Fools,

I've been at CES 2018 in Las Vegas this week. Here are some early observations and takeaways that have stuck out to me so far.

1. Big emphasis on voice and personal assistants (Google, Amazon, Alibaba, Baidu, Microsoft, Samsung... every tech giant has one).

2. No Under Armour booth or presence that I could see. (Checked again, and they didn't attend this year. Big contrast from having a huge booth and delivering final keynote at CES 2017.)

3. Less presence from Fitbit.

4. Less: wearables and connected fitness, 3D printing, and virtual reality.

5. 3D Systems and Stratasys didn't even attend.

6. Surprising amount of drones (not gonna lie, underwater drones are pretty darn cool).

7. Kodak had a large presence -- multiple (big) booths. Cringe.

8. Autonomous driving continues to be big theme.

9. Nvidia’s booth had little/no mention of video games. Almost entire focus was on autonomous driving and AI (gaming was a highlight of the booth in 2017).

10. Alibaba’s presence in mobile payments is INSANE.

11. Riding in a self-driving Lyft through the streets of Las Vegas was cool. Still needed manual mode for certain turns and scenarios -- makes me think full autonomy is still a ways off.

12. GoPro had a big booth and was still displaying Karma drone, just days after it had been discontinued and big layoffs were announced. Headscratcher.

13. Pondering: is it a bullish sign if a company is attending CES, but sticks w/ private meeting room and avoids a huge, flashy, and uber-expensive booth? Perhaps this could be the modern-day equivalent of Peter Lynch preferring companies in nondescript offices sending bland annual reports.

More of my thoughts/findings (and some pictures) over at my Twitter page: https://twitter.com/David_Kretzmann

Foolishly,
David K
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.