No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife and I are considering a 1-3 year vacation from life as we know it (NOT drug induced!:). We are both 46 and are planning the first hiatus at about age 50. We are considering partially funding this (and hopefully other) adventures prior to "full-time retirement" by using IRS reg 72-T to draw from our tax-deferred accounts.

I'm looking for real life experiences with this type of distribution. Additionally, I'd like to hear from those of you who have been aggressive with this technique (i.e., interest rates used, annuity or mortgage method, etc.)

I'm also assuming that, even though I'm withdrawing money until I'm at least age 60, I can partially offset taxes by making contributions to a tax-qualified plan as I work in between excursions.

Thanks in advance for your comments!
Gary

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.