Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Bitcoin millionaire who retired at 35 complains that being rich is 'boring'

"Over the span of a year and a half I put almost everything I saved into it – figuring my earnings would set me back ahead even if it tanks. (Again, crazy/foolish I know)."

By 2017, he was able to cash out more than £2 million after tax.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/bitcoin-million...

That's over 2.5 million USD....

t
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Boredom should not last long for a successful investor. There are many opportunities out there. To work, to play, to volunteer, family, etc, etc.

Creative people should not find this a problem.
Creative people should not find this a problem.

True. The biggest problem is people don't plan for their "second act". Or didn't think it would/could happen as fast as it does. I temporarily fell into that trap but luckily a couple of hobbies have expanded.

JLC
"Boredom should not last long for a successful investor. There are many opportunities out there. To work, to play, to volunteer, family, etc, etc.

Creative people should not find this a problem. "

Lumps should not find this a problem.

Howie52
There are just too many things to do in this world - too many things to study, to learn,
to practice, to enjoy.

Boredom would only be a problem for those too lazy to actively do something.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Getting a dog was a big help on making me go outside twice a day for 1 1/4 hour morning walk & half hour afternoon walk.

The only drawback is my wife kavithing about the loss of being able to go away at the last minute.
For me, the inconvenience is small potatoes to the company I get from him. (wife still works part-time)
No. of Recommendations: 3
luckily a couple of hobbies have expanded

If you're not careful, you can blow a lot of shekels on things like a well outfitted wood shop. Lots of Shekels.

BruceM
Retirement is not merely a financial situation. There are also social and psychological aspects. For some, job is a social experience. Some find the sense of accomplishment and pride that goes with success personally rewarding.

Some work into retirement in stages. If you get five weeks vacation while working that can give a preview. Working part time. Temping. Volunteering. These are all ways of moving into retirement gradually, seeing what works for you. And with adequate finances you have lots of options. Including turning a hobby into a business. etc etc.

Plan ahead. Think about what you would like to do. And then try out a few and see what works best for you and yours.
Better find something to do rather than turn on the TV and watch The View, Oprah then Ellen and the Price is Right. Thank (enter your favorite deity here) Regis&Kathy Lee retired.
Talk shows that will warp your mind.
Or sit on the front porch in a rocking chair. And feel like the world has passed you by!!
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey, I like rocking chairs…… and front porch swings!

But I also like my bicycle and swimming laps.

Balance……
No. of Recommendations: 4
Retirement failure to me means letting it get to you. Ie depression.

The solution is keeping active and being with people. Something to keep in mind. (Being with animals works for some -- almost as well!!!)
No. of Recommendations: 5
Being with animals works for some -- almost as well!!!)

And making time for people in your life AND spending time with animals is best of all.

Your mileage may vary on how much of each……

After a year and a half of the pandemic, I began to get out with others- and discovered, to my chagrin, that the skills involved in satisfying human interaction degrade with disuse…
If you're not careful, you can blow a lot of shekels on things like a well outfitted wood shop. Lots of Shekels.

Currently get to use FIL shop for big projects (plus FIL fun to work with and learn from) but I have priced out a few pieces of equipment for if/when I expand my collection. Like anything else, you can set a budget and then find stuff to blow right through it.

JLC
Or sit on the front porch in a rocking chair. And feel like the world has passed you by!!

My next big project. It is stronger than appears.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/meredithmakers/products/images/zoom...

JLC
No. of Recommendations: 3
My next big project. It is stronger than appears.

Whew! Non-mortised butt joints held together with screws/dowels? Hmmm. I don't think I'd recommend my brother (6'4" 320 lbs) sit in it. Best wishes with it, as it looks comfortable.

How about one of these.

https://www.rockler.com/adirondack-chair-plans-and-templates...

I usually don't use templets, and indeed I modified this one (got the templet as a birthday present). I've built one out of Ipe and very pleased with it, so I bought more wood and am making two more. Very comfortable and very heavy.

BruceM
How about one of these.

https://www.rockler.com/adirondack-chair-plans-and-templates......

I usually don't use templets, and indeed I modified this one (got the templet as a birthday present). I've built one out of Ipe and very pleased with it, so I bought more wood and am making two more. Very comfortable and very heavy.

And fully assembled- very expensive.

Last one we bought, a few years ago, was several hundred dollars.

That set of templates + set of hardware for a total of 40 bucks looks tempting.
Non-mortised butt joints held together with screws/dowels? Hmmm. I don't think I'd recommend my brother (6'4" 320 lbs) sit in it.

Mitered joint with a double spline and tenon.

Wood magazine did a mock-up test, why they didn't build a full chair I don't know. But got up to 420 lbs on one joint. I'm tempted to build the chair and see what it takes*.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FV1SGuL5sc

JLC

* I have 860 lbs worth of weight plates/dumb bells in my home gym. I could go to 1065 if I sat on it too.
For some reason,I just flashed on the image of a cleaning woman entering your room to clean the floor, taking one look at all those weights, then falling over in a faint.

Are you speaking of the knee joints on the leading edge at floor level. If so, yes, that may well be and certainly would require mortising and splines, but I can't see that detail in the picture.

But where the side arm, and leg go down to the bent rocker at the bottom....that certainly looks like a butt joint between the main seat and the side arm/leg I just described. Do you have a more detailed drawing, cause if that really could support that much weight, that would be a fun project to build. It would just seem logical that side arm would be mortised into the chair frame for strength.

BruceM

Are you speaking of the knee joints on the leading edge at floor level. If so, yes, that may well be and certainly would require mortising and splines, but I can't see that detail in the picture.

Yes.

That is as good a picture as I have for now and I haven't yet downloaded the plans. I too would assume a tenon at the arm and seat joints to the frame.

JLC