Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I think it's a great idea! But there is nothing too special about it. No bigger engine, though the decals set it apart from others. I would bet that you will start to see copycats pop up all over the country side. Still though, IMOP, a great idea...

http://money.cnn.com/2002/02/26/autos/wires/q_montecarlo_krt/

-Ryan
Print the post Back To Top
To be a true Intimidator Monte Carlo, it'll need some hefty nerf bars.

UncleLee

About 10 bucks a pound, that's practically coffee territory. I have no doubt it has the Earnhardt seal of approval; anything with the "3" and a price tag is good to go. If those ads in the paper are real, then P.T. Barnum was right.

IMO - It's a rental car with a scary paint job.

5speed
There's so much Earnhardt memerobilia out there that I doubt if demand will ever really catch up with supply. Many (most?) of my customers were big Earnhardt fans, and several of them have hoards of #3 "collectables". (I sell auto racing parts) I have quite a few myself. When my customers tell me my 1/24th Chrome 75th Victory commemorative diecast is "worth" over $300, I offer to sell it for $150. No buyers so far.

Still, to each their own.
Chevrolet is sensitive about seeming to cash in on tragedy. The company is quick to point out that this special edition was pitched to Dale, who owned his own Chevrolet dealership, long before he died.

"When we started discussing this project with him," says Kurt Ritter, Chevrolet's general manager, "he took it as an honor to have his legendary status commemorated with such a special vehicle."

Chevy offered up a statement from Dale's widow, Teresa Earnhardt: "Dale was proud to have such a longstanding association with Chevrolet and the Richard Childress Racing Organization. I know that Dale would be pleased to know that his dream has been fulfilled."

Actually, this dream was fulfilled several times. Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet, his dealership in Newton, N.C., issued a few Earnhardt special editions, including a Lumina -- that was the car he raced before the Monte Carlo made a comeback -- and a Z28 Chevrolet Camaro.

I guess the magic number really is 3... as in times the price of stupid stickers. I'm with the lady quoted at the gas station; this is morbid. Moreover, it's exploitaitive on GM's part. And I'd not be surprised to learn the Earnhardt family isn't the victim so much as they're the instigators.

As a kid I saw more roadside memorials when I first moved to the East that I could count. I've become desensitized to it. If people will place themselves in harms way to leave a floral display tied to the tree where their loved one -died- in a car wreck, let 'em. I'll be shaking my head in wonder as I see the Intimidator badged Monte roll by with a real "investor" behind the wheel.

- Sco

Quick, toss me the keys to my Senna Prelude.

</disgust>

</sarcasm>