Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 16
(From a post on the Complete Growth Investor website...)

Forbes last month profiled a money manager who has consistently beaten the market over the last several years. (I can't recall the manager's name or the issue.) One of the reasons why the manager thinks he has done so well is because he scores each company he owns or is thinking of buying on a matrix of quantitative and qualitative factors.

I have been meaning to create this type of scorecard for awhile, and the article nudged me to do it.

So here is my list. I am in the midst of scoring the companies I own, and maybe you will want to do the same.

I have not backtested my Earnings Power Scorecard, so I may give too much weight to some factors, and not enough weight to others. Also, I reserve the right to amend this list.

Below you will find the items I think are hallmarks of conservative growth stocks, as well as points for each. In theory, a company can earn 165 points in this model, although 50-60 points is pretty darn good.

If you have any high scorers, please share with the rest of us. And if you want a free copy of my spreadsheet, send me an e-mail.

Hewitt

1. Authentic Earnings Power:
Upper-right box (4 of last 5 years)* 10
Earnings Power Staircase (3 of last 5 years)* 10

Net cash (Q) (exc. operating leases) 5
Debt repayment period < 3 years (Q) 5
Return on capital > 20% (3YA) 5
Return incremental capital > 20% (3YA) 5
Book value 5-year CAGR > 10% 5
Sales growth > 10% YOY (Q) 5
Dividend growth > 25% last 5 years (Y) 5
Forecasted 5-year growth > 15% per annum 5

2. Durable Competitive Advantage**:

Low-cost producer 10
High switching costs 10
Intangibles 10
Network effect 10

Industry converging to a few dominant winners? 5
Company has pricing power 5
Repeat purchases ("razor-blade") 5
Insiders ownership > 10% 5
Share count down 10% last 5 years (Y) 5
Market share leader 5
Customers to right of demographic curve? 5

3. Discount to Intrinsic Value:

EV/eFCF < 10x or EV/EBITDA < 5x 10
Maximum pric-intrinsic value of 65% 10

Catalyst 10

*See www.EarningsPower.com
**See Morningstar
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.