Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
Easter Island is on my 'bucket list' and thinking about planning a trip to visit. Has anyone here been there before?

Yes.
It had been on my list since fourth grade and I read about Thor Heyerdahl's visit there.

I was not disappointed.

You will likely fly out of Santiago, Chile to get there and flights are only two, maybe three, times per week. When we were there in 2004, there was no doctor on the island and the flight to Santiago (if there is even one that day), is about five hours. You are, ahem, encouraged to stay healthy . . .

There are a number of places to stay in Hanga Roa. We stayed at the Hanga Roa Inn and it was spartan, but perfectly fine, even for someone like me who prefers at least a Marriott. We were on the most isolated inhabited piece of land in the world. Adjust.

I have said this so many times, I'm sure people think I'm on the payroll, but I'm not; I'm just a fan.

We took this trip and the one the year before to Peru, through go-today.com. They handled everything: picked us up at the airport, made sure we were settled into our hotel, took us to the airport, handled booking of excursions, made sure airport taxes were paid, etc. We were still independent travelers in that we weren't with a group, but many of the potential headaches were alleviated.

Chili
happy to answer questions
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.