Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
4 servings:

Boil then simmer 1 cup farro in 4 cups chicken broth.

Meanwhile cook 1 lb (~4) Italian sausages (I like spicy ones for this) whole in a some olive oil in a heavy large pot (I use Le Creuset). Turn periodically.

When sausages are browned all over, remove and slice. Meanwhile chop a large onion and put in remaining fat in the sausage pot (add olive oil if necessary) to saute and stir periodically. Add 4-6 minced garlic cloves. Stir and saute a bit longer, then add the farro and all its broth to continue cooking in the soup, a small can of diced tomatoes (2 1/2 cups?), and cook for a while. Finally stir in 2 bunches of lacinato kale, stemmed and chopped (or use pre-chopped curly kale...about 1 lb). Cook till kale is the way you like it. I prefer more cooked than just wilted, but still green and not mushy.

Perfect for a cold winter day! I don't think it took longer than 40 minutes--pretty good for soup.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
forgot to mention to not cook the sausages thoroughly the first time (just brown the skin), and to add the sliced sausages back to the pot with the farro & broth and tomatoes.
Print the post Back To Top